• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Aero turbine

not too loud. Not stock either. His truck's got a nice whistle to it but its still got a nice rumble. Not like a straight pipe rumble but still a nice rumble.

If you really want a quiet solution SSDS sells a high flow 4" I/O stock like quiet muffler for a lot less.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its possible they could flow the same amount out, although because it is baffled it has to be a lot bigger to achieve the same flow.

the one you put up was 3.5" I/O but they have a cheaper 4" I/O, and I like how they say you can use two in a row to increase flow and lower EGTs.
http://www.aeroexhaust.com/diesel_muffler_4040.html

If you compare the 3.5" to SSDS 4" they are probably almost same flow, but I cant find the flow numbers on Aero.

I actually own stock in Aero Performance, now that I think about it. I'm way down on it, but they still make some of the best products.

My Banks muffler was wicked quiet. I always thought it must have been designed for a motor home or something. Huge, and way too quiet. Like silent.
I did see somewhere where someone had a complaint about the Banks muffler hurting the power somehow. I think it may have been the Doc.

that's an easy one- get new neighbours and a new other half

I guess i found the right gf :D She's definitely a keeper. Hunts, helps haul wood, likes my truck, even want's a Dmax duallie for her next vehicle, It's sure different to see a cute blond step out of a lifted diesel and fill it up :D

My Banks muffler was wicked quiet. I always thought it must have been designed for a motor home or something. Huge, and way too quiet. Like silent.
I did see somewhere where someone had a complaint about the Banks muffler hurting the power somehow. I think it may have been the Doc.

That was the early muffler not sure if they use the same one now, it was reverse flow internally, better than OEM muffler, but not as good as some of the other mufflers that straight thru flow, I swapped mine for Bill's, then traded the stinger system for some labor on my project engine.

Its possible they could flow the same amount out, although because it is baffled it has to be a lot bigger to achieve the same flow.

the one you put up was 3.5" I/O but they have a cheaper 4" I/O, and I like how they say you can use two in a row to increase flow and lower EGTs.
http://www.aeroexhaust.com/diesel_muffler_4040.html

A friend of mine with PHD in engineering had a look at it, did some flow calcs, said it was a good muffler, but for the money and what it was suppsed to net per sales pitches of aero muffler said money could be better spent elsewhere, get a good muffler, Heath-Jardine-SSD etc. and put savings to some other need for the truck, as for neighbors, IIRC ear plugs aren't that expensive buy them some, my TDC at -1.94 on cold morning makes far more noise than what is coming out the tail pipe.

I think any muffler from straight pipe should help you reduce the noise.

You may be able to find a muffler there locally that would work as well since I know you are half way around the world.

Also check with Warpspeed, they have a lot experience sending things overseas.

I have a 4040XL on my system That's the one with the built in dampener. It did quiet it down but not as much as I hoped. I replaced the SSDiesel one ( not the quiet unit). I have to admit it seemed to flow better, but if I was to do it again, I'd go with a 5" resonated muffler (5050XL) and adapt it with 4" to 5" reducers. Apparently the increased volume helps reduce the sound. A second muffler would help with the sound but the increase in flow isn't all that substantial, according to the AeroTurbine tech I talked to. The problem with a second resonated muffler is the lack of room under my truck. 40" of mufflers and the connector are a tad too long. Overall I am happy with the unit.

I guess i found the right gf :D She's definitely a keeper. Hunts, helps haul wood, likes my truck, even want's a Dmax duallie for her next vehicle, It's sure different to see a cute blond step out of a lifted diesel and fill it up :D

Pics please!!:thumbsup:):h

The XL has the resonator, and does that help make it more quiet? or does it make it louder, or just lower note? I might just get the 4040 then, and if its too loud add another, as the one without resonator is a little shorter and cheaper.

The XL has the resonator, and does that help make it more quiet? or does it make it louder, or just lower note? I might just get the 4040 then, and if its too loud add another, as the one without resonator is a little shorter and cheaper.
I would have to say that the resonator makes it softer. The sound is still throaty and rumbling, just not quite as harsh. I don't mind the sound, but when I fire the Green Monster up at 04:00 to head to work, the neighbors all know that there's fresh snow and the highway's bad!:smilewinkgrin: I really want to quiet it more but don't want to compromise the flow. I may look at adding on a 5050 without the resonator but it's an expensive experiment. The tech did say it would probably work.

Thanks Fysh.

i will probably buy a 4040XL too, the resonator is supposed to quiet the things a bit more than the one without it.
They say the XL pattern flows much than straight pipe--- I will mail them to get things explained.
I don't doubt that they flow better than a straight pipe. It seems to work the same way a ramjet does but without the ignition of fuel for thrust. When I took the SSDiesel free flow unit off and put on the 4040XL, there was a noticeable difference in the sound and power, and my EGT's dropped a bit, say 50F on average.
There is another product that has the same turbine concept with more dampening. It's called "Hushpower" and I believe it's made by Flowmaster. It appears to be a little more restrictive but more effective at sound control. Anyone else know anything about the Hushpower mufflers?

Back