• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Adjusting timing on injection pump - which way to turn for what?

speedbird1229

Reaction score
Hi,

So we rebuilt our K5's pump and installed it back on the truck. I aligned it with the neutral position on the engine and the engine fired up very nicely. However, I went on the test drive and thought I should adjust the timing a bit. I ended up with the pump a bit off to the passenger side from the neutral position. Now after having driven it for a while it feels like it's certainly not the best position and perhaps feels like the timing is a bit too late. When cold, it kinda sputters before starting up even though glow plugs are OK etc. It started up much better right after we installed the pump in neutral position. The other concern is that it didn't smell at all for diesel when running in neutral position but now it smells quite bad when driving behind our truck. Does it seem like too late timing and what is generally the optimal position? Should I just run it neutral if I cannot figure out the best?

Thanks!

clockwise is to advance the timing. the width of the line is about 2 degrees adjustment. you only need a couple of degrees to make a big adjustment. most of us run it a degree or 2 ahead of the neutral line.

not hard to move you just need to loosen the 3 bolts holding it. they're a 15mm wrench. just a light nudge will do it.

To move the IP, you are essentially twisting the injection lines. It takes some force.

Back