• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Actual, honest, real world MPG from your 6.5

still holding right in the middle of 13-14 mpg.

The 4" diamond eye went on during the current tank.

Should be interesting to see if it changes any.

Of course, it's getting a bit warmer 'round the parts now too....

Just because some people do get good mileage most of the time doesnt mean they arent real world. I have gotten bad mileage but it isn't normal for my trucks. So real world for my 95 is anywhere from 17-19 hauling a polaris 700 4 wheeler alot of stop and go/field to field driving and about 200 miles of solid highway or hauling a load of cattle to the sale barn 8 800# stocker calves. Around town I see 16-17.

My 93 gets 14-16 with no real heavy towing #'s yet because it is still an on going project but alot of feeding cattle and hauling tools, welders, and fence building supplies around, I like running errands in it too.

So IDK what constitutes REALWORLD #'s but this is what I have.

Real world is just as you described, sir. :thumbsup:

I like seeing the mods that folks do and how it affects mileage. Then there's the bastard combinations like mine...:hihi:

Only 200 in on this tank. Seems better this time according to the 'needle' but it's not fill-up time yet, either. I estimate 16 for my second tank ever on this rig. Numbers soon.

3rd tank since I got it... about 75% highway miles... 332.9 miles and 20.1 gallons to fill it..... 16.56 MPG

I had 14.6 when I checked it Monday at fill up. I had very little idle time in the last tank and mostly 55mph driving to and from work and unloaded. I had 451 miles on the tank and could have gone further.

I just pulled 17.96 MPG's from this past week. Not bad at all, but we just moved out of my dads house so my drive is now almost pure flatlands, and three traffic lights through a town. Takes me about 12 minuted to get to work.

Went from Georgia to Ohio on Friday..... 591 miles, 32.2 gallons for an average of 18.35. That was at 70 the whole way and going up and down the mountains.

just calculated out the last tank on the 91 6.2L, and we got 20.05 mpg, and that is with squeezing in 34.6 gallons, which brought it to the lip, so I know that 20.05 is the lowest it can be. majority of that tank was humming down I70 empty turning 2750 or so to do 65. I really think I need an NV4500, as who knows how awesome it will be then!

Last edited:
97 Suburban 2500, 3.73 Rear, oversized tires, corrected speedo. Original IP, 4 original injectors (so far) 4 new. No soot trap, running at 4-6 max boost.

Best to date: 17.7 mpg

Just ran to Carbondale to move my daughter over the weekend.

Truck configured as in the sig.

On the way down, pulling a lightly loaded 4x8 Uhaul 390miles, 11.9mpg
Running back empty, A/C off most of the trip, 425miles, 15.5mpg

Both directions had the cruise set at 66~68mph
The trip down also included some winds and a 30 mile severe thunderstorm.

I had boost solenoid issue on the way down - P0235 code. Managed to rig the solenoid on the trip back so the code cleared on its own. ( I eventually got tired of clearing it)

Bright spot - Bought diesel in Marion IL for $3.81, $0.10 to $0.20 cheaper than any were else in the state I looked.

Since February, mixed driving to include some off road, snow, 4x4 time and a new job location where my daily commute is now only 20 miles vs 42 miles and finishes on a 6% grade in both directions (last 4 weeks).

3814 Miles, 226.9 Gal of fuel = 16.81 mpg.

1998 GMC Sierra single cab long bed 4WD, 4.10 gearing, 180 t stats, f code motor, 265 tires+all the mods in my sig. unloaded running 13-15 MPG. Why is it that I am getting such poor mpg with this truck? I run 15PSI WOT through a stock GM8 with heaths turbo master and a AFE intake.

1998 GMC Sierra single cab long bed 4WD, 4.10 gearing, 180 t stats, f code motor, 265 tires+all the mods in my sig. unloaded running 13-15 MPG. Why is it that I am getting such poor mpg with this truck? I run 15PSI WOT through a stock GM8 with heaths turbo master and a AFE intake.

Its the flapper on the stack, lol. You are getting about everage for a 4l80 and 4.10's. You could try backing the boost off some but you will loose some power also the 180 t-stats could be holding you back. Not sure how much towing you do but you are set up good for it.

I think 15psi and 180 stats would be ideal on a towrig.

Its the flapper on the stack, lol. You are getting about everage for a 4l80 and 4.10's. You could try backing the boost off some but you will loose some power also the 180 t-stats could be holding you back. Not sure how much towing you do but you are set up good for it.

I think 15psi and 180 stats would be ideal on a towrig.
That's a damn shame, good to know it's average though.

Stuck at 15.5 here. Not even a 6.5... 6.2 with all the 6.5 'stuff' bolted to it.. 4.10's with 285/75/16's

The 4.10 rear end sure knows how to suck down your MPG :mad2:

The best I have ever gotten is 18.7 MPG but that is topping off and getting immediately on the freeway and keeping it below 65 MPH till the tank needs to be topped off again.

Back