• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Actual, honest, real world MPG from your 6.5

If ya have not already...please

My mileage went south a long ways today. Got the ATT on and this engine comes alive!! It wasn't the bigger injectors, it was the "A" turbo. When the boost comes up, and I saw 18.3 today, and the propane kicks in (starting at 2 pounds of boost), YIKES!!

Start a new post! I want details pretty sure I can speak for most others here as well...:smile5:

Start a new post! I want details pretty sure I can speak for most others here as well...:smile5:

OH REALLY!

Is the the "Place" that tells you what you can post and not post?

I have posted here a few times the milage I 'did' get. I have exceeded 23mpg with the GM-8 and the WMI. I have spent a ton of money trying to get mileage by adding all sorts of different items and trying differetnt things.

Put your smile on that.

Slim fixed the damage done by #$%^ during the 350hp build up (Performance section, 350 hp thread) and Ted swapped out his GM8 and took it out for a test run...then the fun started and he put the hammer down, HOME GEAR, or whatever...he damn sure didn't run it at 62mph. Then he added propane and then WMI and continued until his mouth started to bleed at the corners from an "over grin" condition.

There Ted, I've set you up again...expain yourself sir!

OH REALLY!

I have posted here a few times the milage I 'did' get. I have exceeded 23mpg with the GM-8 and the WMI. I have spent a ton of money trying to get mileage by adding all sorts of different items and trying differetnt things.

Put your smile on that.

Ok post what ya want were ever sorry I asked :icon_bs:

OH REALLY!

Sounded to me that 69 was hoping you'd start a thread that
we could follow, about your experience with the turbo.
Not that he was telling you not to post about it here.
But I may be wrong :confused:

Back on track with an MPG number for the '93 in my signature.

My excuses as follows: :)

1. First tank on fresh engine, injectors, IP.
2. Combined city/highway with hills, no more than 15 mile trips.
3. Shakedown runs with lots of idle time and heavier than normal right foot.

On second tank now driving more conservative, results to come.

1993 6.5L K3500 SRW Regular Cab 4WD. NV4500. 4in exhaust. AFE Stage II. 1/4 turn on the DB2-4911. Homemade TM at 14psi. Truck with full tank (38gal I think) with me in it weighs in just shy of 6100lbs. I am getting anywhere between 19-20mpg. Before I turned my fuel screw i I was getting 21-22mpg.

Tell me what I'm doing wrong. Truck as shown in the description below. I'm easy on the throttle and am rarely doing more than 55-60 mph. I see 13.5 on a good fill-up and just over 13 on a not so good full up. I always fill up to the top of the neck. 33x12.50-16.5 tires, but I'm thinking I got 14 on the way home from Tennessee when I first bought it several years ago.

What is your gear ratio? What thermostat do you have and what tempearture does truck run at? How much boost do you have at 60mph cruising? Do you have GMTDScanTech to verify some things?

I would also verify the speedo and odometer are accurate.

I checked the Tahoe last week...22mpg, most of this is with cruise on set at 68mph. This truck has the 3.40 gears & runs very well. I check this every fill, this truck has consistently got 500 miles per tank & avg fill ups are always near 22 gal

What is your gear ratio? What thermostat do you have and what tempearture does truck run at? How much boost do you have at 60mph cruising? Do you have GMTDScanTech to verify some things?

I would also verify the speedo and odometer are accurate.

4:10, OEM t-stat (195), seems to run about 190 according to the gauge. Truck empty weights in right at about 7000#. Have to check the boost @ 60. The last I recall is between 4-5 psi. No such tool in my arsenal. I believe the speedo to be accurate - tires are almost the same height as stockers. Technically that wouldn't matter much though. The truck body might travel further than the odometer shows, but the parts don't know that.

19.2 highway average over a 1400 mile trip. Boost solenoid was throwing a code.

1994 K1500-as stock as the day it was built

99 K2500 ECLB, 5-speed, 3.73s, F Motor: Only "performance" mods are: 235/85R16 on PY0s, #9 resistor, no muffler or soot trap.

Regularly get 15.5MPG in town, 14.5 MPG towing, and 19.5MPG unloaded highway. Best I have ever saw was 26 MPG unloaded.

4:10, OEM t-stat (195), seems to run about 190 according to the gauge. Truck empty weights in right at about 7000#. Have to check the boost @ 60. The last I recall is between 4-5 psi. No such tool in my arsenal. I believe the speedo to be accurate - tires are almost the same height as stockers. Technically that wouldn't matter much though. The truck body might travel further than the odometer shows, but the parts don't know that.

The things I would suggest is verifying speedo and odometer, because if you are using the odometer then it may be reading less miles than you actually drive. For example, if when speedo shows 60mph, you are actually at 65mph, then for every 60 miles your odometer says you may have actually went 65. Then your MPG numbers will be significantly off. And many have found that even when the speedo is accurate the odometer reads a little low.

The scanerio is possible, because I would guess that it came with 245/75/16 tires stock which are only about 30" tall, and yours are now 33" tall, which is even about an inch taller than a 265/75/16 tire. The added circumference means the tire spins less times for the same distance and everything calculates speed and miles based on the number of times the driveshaft spins.

Also, try to drop boost to 3psi at your cruise speed. Guys with 4.10s might drive by the tach, sounds like you do for the most part, a speed where RPMs are close to 2000rpm. Then you have to know the tach is right, because a lot of people get the gasser alternator pulleys that make the tach read about 200rpm high. The diesel alternator pulley needs to be 2-5/8" diameter on the outside rim, versus 2-3/8" of the gasser.

The stinger exhaust is not so great, its like 3" to the muffler and mine had a soot trap/catalytic converter. If it has a soot trap eliminate it.

No soot trap. I've replaced the alternator pulley with the OEM part from the dealership a few years back. I do understand what you're saying about the mileage/tire dia., etc. My calculated mileage should read lower than the physical miles traveled, but it seems the calculated mileage would be near the same with stock tires or the ones I'm running. Keep in mine that I noted I got about 14 mpg on my maiden trip home with stockers. I've seen about 13.5 to 13.6 ever since then.

I do drive by the tach. and also the simple fact that it "likes" to cruise at about 55-60. RPMs are just under 2000 at 55 and with the new EPROM from Heath, my EGTs dropped back to 400, from 450. It also cools down much faster at idle.

I may back off the boost a little to see if that helps out, even though the 14 mpg was 100% stock except for the cat. delete.

At the time I bought it, I was fine with the mileage because it was about equal that of a 454 and diesel was cheaper than gas. Today, it's not the case with the fuel price racket we're seeing. Still no plans to give it up, but I'd sure drive it more if the mileage was better.

What was the size of the tires when you first got it, maybe they were not stock per say, best thing might be to just map out a route youre driving and see how close mapquest is to the odometer, unless you have a GPS device or phone with GPS can tell you mileage traveled and compare. Either way it does sound like low mileage. Some more advance probably getting you lower EGTs, thats good.

Back