• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Actual, honest, real world MPG from your 6.5

615 miles x 1.6 = 984 kms.

Maybe my truck is waaaaayy worse than I thought..........

BJ---look in deejaaa's sig line. Here's what he has there--"Gear Vendors OD unit, 1800 rpm at 67 mph". You and I both have 4.10 gears and since his is a 91 1 ton I'm assuming it also has 4.10 gears. The double OD apparently makes a big difference.

Don

edit--also assuming he has 4L80E tranny since his sig line doesn't specify tranny.

Last edited:
thats interesting, what does that double over drive drop the RPMs from stock?

I'm having to assume some things since he doesn't give tranny and gearing in his sig line. I'm guessing he has the 4L80E tranny and 4.10 gears, but not positive. Anyhow, his sig line has--"Gear Vendors OD unit, 1800 rpm at 67 mph". In my 94 K2500 with 4.10 gears and 265/75/16 tires I'm at 2100 RPM at about 62 MPH. That figures out to about 2270 RPM at 67 MPH for me. The GV OD is 22% overdrive so that would put him at about, or just under 2200 RPM at 67 MPH without the GV.

Don

BJ---look in deejaaa's sig line. Here's what he has there--"Gear Vendors OD unit, 1800 rpm at 67 mph". You and I both have 4.10 gears and since his is a 91 1 ton I'm assuming it also has 4.10 gears. The double OD apparently makes a big difference.

Don

edit--also assuming he has 4L80E tranny since his sig line doesn't specify tranny.

Interesting point.

However, since I pull a 35 foot 8500 lb trailer, I want the 6.5 working at the torque peak which is supposed to be right around 2100-2200 rpm.

I just spent a chunk of the morning on Gearvendors website. It sure is interesting what they say about towing with their OD and gear splitting to keep the RPM where you want it for best performance. BUT, it's way out of my pay range.

Don

The 4.10 K3500 6.2 turbo jobby here is still stuck at 16 mpg. Still tweaking stuff. I am switching to synthetic engine oil.. can't hurt.

I may *tweak* the 4.10's over the hill........ :(

another mpg update.........
this week i drove 70 instead of 65 mph , 95% freeway, 595 miles on the tank, figured out to 19.8 mpg.

another mpg update.........
this week i drove 70 instead of 65 mph , 95% freeway, 595 miles on the tank, figured out to 19.8 mpg.

You will get better mileage at 1800-2000rpm then cruising closer to 1500. I have noticed this with mine with the 3.42 gears and taller tires, better to go faster. Most people dont have a too low of RPM issue.

Don

i do have the 4L80E trans and 4.10 gears. the GV is what has made it really enjoyable to drive on the freeway. i can lock out the GV unit or the trans OD if i am going slower. before, i was hitting 2300 rpm going just 63, not much room to go any faster either. i have a lockup for the TCC and the trans OD so it isn't totally hands free. pretty sure if someone drove it without knowing, the trans would get burned up quick.
i also only spent 800.00 for all the parts. bought from CL at 2 different places.

My first 500 mile tank.. woo-hoo! 512 actually, on 31 gallons.. 16.51 mpg..

Gettin closer.

Synthetic and a WIX to go in for this tank..

I stopped doing mpg on my cross continent trip. Too much fu went through it in too short a time and some receipts were lost in the mess. Impressions up to this point seem to be cosistant with previous mileage anyways.

However, it seems that the optimizer and my current "programming experiments" may be coming into thier own.

The current fill has 556 kms on it and I haven't hit half tank yet...no want for power either. The truck seems to walk away from traffic with just a bit of pedal and egts in the 600-700f range while cruising empty at 100 kph.

I may have to start logging mpg again....

Thats my set-up. Im very glad i have the 3.42's. Locally i sport about 17. I rarely drive on the highway, so i can never get a good highway calculated measurement.

Yup sure do my 1995 1500 truck has the 3.73 posi, nice for towing but IME the 3.43 in my Tahoe just seems happier all around & better for empty cruise on the interstate.
I love the 3.42's for everything highway. But the steep grades hurt pretty good, more when it was stock, but not so bad now.

Back