• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Actual, honest, real world MPG from your 6.5

First tank on my 650.00 truck was 18.6. That was 200 miles of just highway and the rest in town. Now it averages in town 17.2-17.7. All in all im happy, i never expected a 1 ton go get even close to this. Shoot i have a 1998 5.9 grand cherokee and it never gets over 13.4! Anybody who buys a truck and doesnt get a diesel imo just isnt thinking.

qak, 650.00 truck as in you paid $650 for it? You're getting good mileage from her for sure. NV4500 SRW RC 1 ton 4X4.. I like it.

GMguy, just the everyday Mobil 1 diesel synthetic.

98kg73.jpg

3500 gmc, yes 650 cash and an old dirtbike i had in trade so i guess with that value in there around 1000 i suppose. The po said it didnt run, he replaced the pmd and fuel filter and couldnt figure it out. Well i found this site and did my research and figured i knew kinda what was wrong. My brother and i got her home and put two new batts in and she fired then died. No lp pressure, so we took off the bed, replaced the pickup. It was broken inside and bent! The baffle was roaming around in the tank so we put it back on and the little keepers too, with a small magnet and broom handle hahaha. Then a new liftpump, it purrs like a kitten now!

I LOVE things like this... MAN you gotta one awesome truck for one awesome price. And I thought I got a steal!

3500gmc , she's a little rougher than the pic looks, but all in all a great truck with tons of
potential. Deals like this are out there but I think and have noticed that most people either have
no desire to do a little work or just lack the simple ability to diagnose and properly fix a problem.
Good for people on this site though, more savings for us who dont mind a little work.

17-21, non turbo, GMC1500 2wd. the mileage was bad this summer, spent a lot of idling time with the AC on

3500gmc , she's a little rougher than the pic looks, but all in all a great truck with tons of
potential. Deals like this are out there but I think and have noticed that most people either have
no desire to do a little work or just lack the simple ability to diagnose and properly fix a problem.
Good for people on this site though, more savings for us who dont mind a little work.

Big 10-4 there. What's the rear gear?

4.10 gears with the biggest brakes ive seen since my freightliner sleeper trucks! I think the same as yours by looking at your signature line. Im not sure about full floater or semi, never really knew the difference.

Yep, same axle here, brakes and all. Big freak drums. In the glovebox look for a tag with a series of alfa-numeric 3 digit codes.. RPO codes.. 13x3.5 brakes are known as 'JB8' brakes. Full floater means the drive axle bolts to a wheel hub, two seperate pieces. You can take the axles out and still roll the truck.

I used to drive for a living, three different trucks, T800 Kwhopper, FL centry flat top, Pete 379 short hood. All flatbed. Big truck brakes are a tiny bit bigger.. :D

First tank on my 650.00 truck was 18.6. That was 200 miles of just highway and the rest in town. Now it averages in town 17.2-17.7. All in all im happy, i never expected a 1 ton go get even close to this. Shoot i have a 1998 5.9 grand cherokee and it never gets over 13.4! Anybody who buys a truck and doesnt get a diesel imo just isnt thinking.

Your mileage reports are encouraging. I look forward to seeing the results when I'm shifting gears myself, rather than the tranny doing it for me as it is today. Just filled up yesterday and put in 32.1 gallons. The last tank, I averaged right at 11 mpg, but I was also loaded, grossing over 20,000 lbs. (bringing home my donor truck) for all but about 30 miles of the tank. I won't complain about that at all.

hey dusty here i have a early 99 6.5 bout 200000k on it new injectors on imperial gallons i get 16 round town 23 to 25 on highway and bout 12 pulling 18000 pound fiver on non stop and go mileage

I don't righly know,i just fill up when getting low
I know it does better empty downhill and tailwind than headwind uphill and pulling a trailer:hihi:

So enlightening and informative..
Ye are.

:eek: :mad2:

added ; Drive less = less fuel used.. What a concept. Makes you wonder about the mentality of the 'smart-car' drivers that pile on 100k miles a year and don't really have to.

I've also stopped recording it.

I just fill it in now and drive until it needs more.

Gets me anywhere from 1-2 months on a tank full in usual driving back and forth to work.

Really, I need it to go to work. I've just stopped worrying about it.

Fill and go until it needs more. Then fill it again....

I monitor MPG -the consistency of- to detect any problem that might come along. It could get 4.1 mpg consistently, no big deal, but if it drops to 3.1 mpg, we gotta do some work.. :thumbsup:

I'm consistently getting between 18.2 and 19.2 MPG in my rig. In the last month I have replaced all of the breaks and fixed a leak in my crossover. I'm making a 600 mile drive to Lake Tahoe next week. I'm really hoping I can get close to 20 MPG, but we'll see.

Rustbucket got 21-22 in a cycle of 15 min city, 2 hours highway (65 mph), 15 min city, 2 hr. highway and again 15 min city. Not towing light load. That is until it was too holy :arf: to pass inspection. It has a GM Goodwrench engine in it with low miles.

Back