• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Actual, honest, real world MPG from your 6.5

The trip from IL to CA in 2 days I only had to fill up once. Its 2200 miles, but I have 84 gallons worth of fuel tank. It was basically all 70mph interstate, and when I had stopped to fuel up, I had gotten 25mpg, although used 7 gallons of propane with that too which helped climbing up the Rocky Mts and still maintaining good mpg. Although I only drive long distance a few times a year.

12.5 Lots of driving lately. I also live in a very hilly,urban city area. Roads suck.

3/16/2010 135,719 12.153 $36.08 $2.97 135 11.108
3/20/2010 135,900 14.690 $43.91 $2.99 181 12.321
3/25/2010 136,123 17.847 $52.27 $2.93 223 12.495

I need to defend my beloved. I also have a small fuel drip. Doesn't spew when pressurized, so it either seals under pressure or is pre-WALBRO. I need to rework my plumbing anyhow, so just trying to get through winter. A few 3" spots driping off my frame every time I Park must be giving me a MPG hit. I'll be fixing this soon.

FWIW with a baffle-less fuel tank of 22 gallons, I start to show OOF symptoms right there. 17.5 gallons deep. I started puttering and threw a code as I rolled up to the fuel station :) Glowshift Fuel gauge read FULL. As it always does when I'm empty :) I LOVE THIS TRUCK!!

Without my rear tank working full time properly with balance module, or toggle, I have a range of only 222 miles :( Thats why I fill up so often if anyone wondered.

Can someone please tell me how to attach a file. Its only doing the linky internal error.

Somebody help Matt, I want this file. :D

Somebody help Matt, I want this file. :D

Send me a PM with your Email and I'll E-Mail it to you. SmithvilleD helped me, and I'll pay it forward.

I fixed my diesel leak yesterday, it was the return line rotting at the holder. Cut and replaced the rotted line.

Maybe I'll notice 1/2 mpg better. Truck is once again Drip Free. Who knows for how long :)

Any mileage feedback for the ATT and KOJO crew?

Just made little easter trip, nurmijarvi-hyvinkää-virrat-kauhajoki-virrat-nurmijärvi, then some driving here locally and i used 137 liters winterblend diesel, and got 638 miles to odometer.. I'm right now too tired to count how many mpg's it is, but it makes 13,3liters per 100 kilometers.
I think its not bad with winter fuel, spiked winter tires, and 4.1 gearing in burb.
(Note: i may have used some extra fuel testing some new features to my tune)

Kojo I did the math for you and it comes out to 17.59 mpg. No way I can pronounce where the hell you were driving from or to.

100km = 62.1371 mi
13.3L = 3.5135 gal

17.682 MPG. :thumbsup:

Awesome input on this thread. I hope to contribute 6.2 turbo numbers soon. (6.2 swap into truck in sig) At least for now.

Edit, Big T beat me to it.

Tahoe = around town: 14.5
Interstate = 17

Burb = around town: 13-14
Interstate = 17.5 if I stay at 60-65, 15-16 if I go 70-80. However, that's fully loaded with people and hundreds of pounds of gear, and often with a luggage box on the hitch.

-Rob :)

Just completed a 1250 mile road trip from Chico CA, across 299 to Crescent City where I picked up 4 large insulated fish totes that stood a good 3' above the cab, then drove up the Oregon coast to Astoria where I dropped off the totes. Rained and blew like he$$ along the coast, good thing I'd just purchased new tires the day before the trip. Then ran empty across Hwy 30 along the Columbia River to Portland and finished the express trip at 70-75mph down I5 back to Chico. Burned 71 gallons in 1250 miles in two days= 17.5 mpg.

I've been getting around 18 MPG, for this tank I turned my TM down (was set @ max 10 - 11 PSI, now about 7)
gonna see how this affects mileage.
Cannot feel any difference seat of pants, no smoke......
if MPGs improve, I'll lower it to just above the point it
starts smoking...

Drove 162 miles yesterday drove like a mad man possessed for the first half of the trip (was late), on two lane black top passing a lot of heavy traffic. Speeding up and slowing down 60-90mph. Did 65 mph all the way back against the 20mph wind gusting to 30mhp. = 19mpg.

thought i woud post up the mileage from a trip this spring/early summer.
truck was the 96 in signature (2500(HD) ECLB 6.5L F 5spd 2wd 3.73s, 245/75s)
central Idaho to NW KS, it got 18.xx-22.8x

the 22.8x leg was from Cheyenne WY to NW KS. topped of truck at local stop (shook it, got it to sit in neck covering vent, so this is no lie! :) )

Awesome input on this thread. I hope to contribute 6.2 turbo numbers soon. (6.2 swap into truck in sig) At least for now.

Edit, Big T beat me to it.

My 6.2 swap was within .5 MPG of the 6.5 towing the same heavy route as I posted earlier. Not significant and within the margin of error - daily variance of weight/cargo in the trailer.

Getting out of the hills and towing a flatter route with a different 6.5 truck that got the same MPG on the hilly Payson route... Well that improved the MPG to 10.9.

Turning up the Pump and turbo did not cost me any MPG. Just gained speed on the hard pulls vs. not turned up.

65 MPH on cruise control seems to be the sweet spot for my truck which produces about 17 MPG. Anything above 65 and the mileage drops like a rock.

I think I can squeeze a couple MPG out of the truck by setting the timing, opening up the exhaust and maybe replacing the injectors/thermostat if I am motivated enough.

I have to update my signature to show the ratio of TCW-3 I'm running. It is something like 1/2 quart to 30 gallons.

I've been fairly heavy with SAE-30 and/or two stroke for the last year or so. I like it.

I go 1qt of SAE-30 ND for 16-18 gallons.

Or a quart of SAE-30 and a 1/2 quart of 2-Stroke.

There is more BTU in a quart of oil than a gallon of diesel.

96 K1500, 3.73 gear ratio, 4L80, 33 x 12 BF Goodrich AT, 3" suspension lift (lots o wind an rolling resistance, Heath Exhaust kit w/cross over, SSD Air Intake, S to F swapped intake manifold, 5000 mile Bosch bodied-china-gut injectors and vacuum pump w/waste gate. Ran this config over hill and dale to Heath's at 70mph and averaged 16 mpg for 500 miles except the last leg over "Cabbage Patch (6% forever) and over the Yakama Passes to Ellensburg where I got a jaw dropping 14! Haven't seen that since I installed the exhaust and was having fun on the winter blend. Dropped the stock PCM, vacuum pump, solenoids, waste gate and SSD intake for GLE, TM, AFE intake, new injectors (w/real Bosch guts) and added a 5" chrome tip to the exhaust. Got 15mpg on the return trip over Yakima pass and Cabbage Patch against a wicked head wind. 15.5 across the rest of Oregon and past Boise against same @#$%^ head wind and 16+ the rest of the way home (I credit the exhaust tip). Speed consistent with the trip out.
Prior to the upgrades, I was getting 16.5 avg with a mix of highway (55 mph+) and City. Will see how it changes after the foot settings calm down and summer blends come in to play.

Posted the above at the start of the thread.

Since then, I've put in the Heath cooling upgrade w/fan and replaced the IP and am adding 1/2 oz 2stroke per gal of fuel. Over the last few months I've seen consistent 17mpg for mixed driving condition on my daily commute and with the IP change the numbers are consistently in 17.8 - 18.5. Hauling a 1000lbs over the passes up and back to Grand Junction didn't change that either. Foot hasn't calmed down much either. The back of the truck is still slightly higher than the front so I'm curious if leveling things out would help. I know dropping it back to stock tires and zero lift will help a lot but:rolleyes5: I'm pleased with the steady increase in mileage and can only wonder what the effect of winter blend will be this year.

My mileage went south a long ways today. Got the ATT on and this engine comes alive!! It wasn't the bigger injectors, it was the "A" turbo. When the boost comes up, and I saw 18.3 today, and the propane kicks in (starting at 2 pounds of boost), YIKES!!

My mileage went south a long ways today. Got the ATT on and this engine comes alive!! It wasn't the bigger injectors, it was the "A" turbo. When the boost comes up, and I saw 18.3 today, and the propane kicks in (starting at 2 pounds of boost), YIKES!!

Recalibrate your "foot to fun" ratios and repost. Many ATT owners are holding their collective breaths.):h

Back