• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Aces went dodge?!!?!??!?!?

You were. IN great detail..
http://www.dieseltowingresource.com/showthread.php?t=12143

http://www.dieseltowingresource.com/showthread.php?t=11760&page=12

Well, I just got home from a 400 Mile trip. The transmission is acting up in the Dodge won't shift into 1st randomly, so ya'll can gloat. I'm actually glad since I bought it knowing it would need one sooner or later cause Dodge trannys stock suck and it still has a 60 day. It goes back in Wed , although I'm sure they will try to doctor it or etc. I'm taking it to 2 different tranny shops tommorow and getting 2 written estimates on what's wrong with it in case the dealer tries to play fck stick. I gotta unload the camper but i will do a detailed un biased comparison later. Don't fear just yet. Tahoe's been on ebay since Wed and no bites so I may own it a bit longer. Have abite on the pickup. Kinda weird. Thought it would be the other way around.
Bottom line like I said before I didn't buy it cause I had something against 6.5s. On the contrary when I do my write up later I think you guys will be impressed at the comparison. It just boiled down to I wanted something newer with much lower mileage and in a 6.5 world that wasn't to likely. Like Tookie said, for the time being the Dodge seems to meet my needs more but I'll do a detialed later. Been away for 4 days and jonesin' for some typin.
JD,
Got the 3 yr old running around sayin "Dodge Makes it, Cummins Shakes it.."
:D
BTW Notice alot of Northern Boys at the campground in Lake George. I guess it's close to some of you guys.
I rebuild the 5 speed on my brothers 2002,had same problem as you,but his was stuck in first.
parts where hard to get ,as the tranny is discontinued,but i managed to find some. this was 4 yrs ago allready.
If you wanna learn to :cuss:,try rebuilding it yourself:D, in any case, its gonna be pricy.

Yeah I talked to Matt at champion trans about it today. He said same as dealer, probably just a sol and the 47re isn't a bad tranny under stock conditions. Great guy BTW anybody near CT,He's a member here. Hope that is ok to mention.

Well as the new Dodge sits at the Dealer awaiting a trans repair(actually think it's a sol) I have had time to ponder the whole 6.5 vs cummins vs powerstroke.

I have never owned nor driven a Dmax or a 6.0 Ford so I'll leave them out. This post could go under a different topic but since I am a soon to be ex 6.5 owner I thought you guys would find my comparisons interesting especially since I am an avid 6.5 and can give a fair analysis.

Things I have noticed Hmmm where to start. Well I failed English every year I took it so my essay wrting arrangements suck.

I'll start with MPG comparison.

Dodge from my trip really didn't get any better MPG than the Tahoe did towing the camper. Actually I think it was slightly worse. I got about 10.5 MPG and the Tahoe IIRC used to get almost 12. Of course I did climb through the Berkshire MOuntains. That said the Dodge certainly did not have any real MPG that blew my hair back. It basically gets about what the 6.5 does all around

Power

Well mine is all stock. I would say it pulls about the same as my fully modded 6.5. As a matter of fact I sense a wee bit of Turbo lag from a dead stop with the Dodge where as my Tahoe leaps off the line but the Dodge seems to have it's Umph rolling. I would say SOP a little better in the Dodge at Hwy speeds. Again the two trucks are reasonably close execpt that the 6.5 is fully modded and the Cummins is stock.

The truck drives like a truck. It's funny driving these newer GMS like i have had the past few years I forgot what a Straight axle truck feels like. It feels heavy on the steering and you know it's a truck where-as even my 1 ton chevy feels like a car to drive. Weight carrying the Dodge triumphs.

The GM's were more model as light duty during our era. Even the one ton feels light where as my 3/4 Dodge reminds me more of GM Mids 80s back old school Took me a bit to get used to it again but I like it. The Dodge rides much nicer than my Ford Super Duty did but nowhere near as nice as my GMC so I guess really it's a happy medium of the Superduty and the GMC> Not a bad place to be.
Interior.

The GM slides into gear effortlessly where as you almost need two hands on the shifter for the Dodge. The Factory GM radios even the AM/FM blow Dodge away. Gotta update the tunes. The suicide Door is very nice. I am not positive but I bleieve our generation trucks don't have that on the x cab. PIA to get in the back seat.
Overall Drivablity.

Well like I said, nothing drives down the highway nicer than our old school. I mean they ride like cars handle awesome.
The Dodge is a truck and it rides like one however it is way better than my superduty. That Ford could haul Oprah and Rosie in the bed and not even squat but on a long highway trip you need back surgery. Might as well be driving a DM 800 Mack

The GMC rode like a gentlman but I know when I put a load of firewood on it, it felt it. Have not hauled with the Dodge but again think it will be a happy medium.

The Main thing with the Dodge that is nice it the availible stuff if you want to mod it or whatever. They make everything for them and the availible HP is crazy where as the Fastest 6.5 in the world is Bill H's and it barely puts out more than mY Dodge would with a Mild Tune but we don't own our trucks to race them , we own them to drive(execpt ChrisK).

One thing I love about the Dodge is the fact that it can easily clear 33's and could clear 35's with minmal effort where as the lifts for our trucks are crazy money and a PIA to install.

All these trucks no matter Ford, Dodge or GM have thier weak points.

I will say my father has a Superduty 8ft bed xtra cab and that truck feels like a behemouth to drive where as the Dodge xtra cab is not a whole lot worse that a Standard cab. My wife was not intimidated by it and she hates big trucks.

Basically for the time being this truck seems to fit my needs right now but no regrets at all about my 6.5s. They are good dependable, cheap and easy to maintain for anyone who can pick up a wrench. The GMC has bites on it already and I suspect it will be gone soon but the Tahoe is not moving and I am not giving it away just yet so don't count me out yet.

Oh forgot stopping power. Dodge is way better. Neither of my GM's ever stopped good which I find odd cause I had heard Dodge brakes suck but my Dodge has 4 wheel disk so kinda hard to compare to a truck with rear drums.

Also everyone knocks the DS4 IP but it can run for sometime with no lift pump. Do that for even a few minutes on a Cummins VP44 and you just bought a very expensive IP so DS4's are not so bad. I'm looking at a 500$ LP upgrade before that happens to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well as the new Dodge sits at the Dealer awaiting a trans repair(actually think it's a sol) I have had time to ponder the whole 6.5 vs cummins vs powerstroke.
I have never owned nor driven a Dmax or a 6.0 Ford so I'll leave them out. This post could go under a different topic but since I am a soon to be ex 6.5 owner I thought you guys would find my comparisons interesting especially since I am an avid 6.5 and can give a fair analysis.
Things I have noticed Hmmm where to start. Well I failed English every year I took it so my essay wrting arrangements suck.
I'll start with MPG comparison.
Dodge from my trip really didn't get any better MPG than the Tahoe did towing the camper. Actually I think it was slightly worse. I got about 10.5 MPG and the Tahoe IIRC used to get almost 12. Of course I did climb through the Berkshire MOuntains. That said the Dodge certainly did not have any real MPG that blew my hair back. It basically gets about what the 6.5 does all around
Power
Well mine is all stock. I would say it pulls about the same as my fully modded 6.5. As a matter of fact I sense a wee bit of Turbo lag from a dead stop with the Dodge where as my Tahoe leaps off the line but the Dodge seems to have it's Umph rolling. I would say SOP a little better in the Dodge at Hwy speeds. Again the two trucks are reasonably close execpt that the 6.5 is fully modded and the Cummins is stock.
The truck drives like a truck. It's funny driving these newer GMS like i have had the past few years I forgot what a Straight axle truck feels like. It feels heavy on the steering and you know it's a truck where-as even my 1 ton chevy feels like a car to drive. Weight carrying the Dodge triumphs. The GM's were more model as light duty during our era. Even the one ton feels light where as my 3/4 Dodge reminds me more of GM Mids 80s back old school Took me a bit to get used to it again but I like it. The Dodge rides much nicer than my Ford Super Duty did but nowhere near as nice as my GMC so I guess really it's a happy medium of the Superduty and the GMC> Not a bad place to be.
Interior. The GM slides into gear effortlessly where as you almost need two hands on the shifter for the Dodge. The Factory GM radios even the AM/FM blow Dodge away. Gotta update the tunes. The suicide Door is very nice. I am not positive but I bleieve our generation trucks don't have that on the x cab. PIA to get in the back seat.
Overall Drivablity.
well like I said, nothing drives down the highway nicer than our old school. I mean they ride like cars handle awesome.
The Dodge is a truck and it rides like one however it is way better than my superduty. That Ford could haul Oprah and Rosie in the bed and not even squat but on a long highway trip you need back surgery. Might as well be driving a DM 800 Mack
The GMC rode like a gentlman but I know when I put a load of firewood on it, it felt it. Have not hauled with the Dodge but again think it will be a happy medium.
The Main thing with the Dodge that is nice it the availible stuff if you want to mod it or whatever. They make everything for them and the availible HP is crazy where as the Fastest 6.5 in the world is Bill H's and it barely puts out more than mY Dodge would with a Mild Tune but we don't own our trucks to race them , we own them to drive(execpt ChrisK).
One thing I love about the Dodge is the fact that it can easily clear 33's and could clear 35's with minmal effort where as the lifts for our trucks are crazy money and a PIA to install.
All these trucks no matter Ford, Dodge or GM have thier weak points.
I will say my father has a Superduty 8ft bed xtra cab and that truck feels like a behemouth to drive where as the Dodge xtra cab is not a whole lot worse that a Standard cab. My wife was not intimidated by it and she hates big trucks.
Basically for the time being this truck seems to fit my needs right now but no regrets at all about my 6.5s. They are good dependable, cheap and easy to maintain for anyone who can pick up a wrench. The GMC has bites on it already and I suspect it will be gone soon but the Tahoe is not moving and I am not giving it away just yet so don't count me out yet.
Oh forgot stopping power. Dodge is way better. Neither of my GM's ever stopped good which I find odd cause I had heard Dodge brakes suck but my Dodge has 4 wheel disk so kinda hard to compare to a truck with rear drums.
Also everyone kocks the DS4 IP but it can run for sometime with no lift pump. Do that for even a few minutes on a Cummins VP44 and you just bought a very expensive IP so DS4's are not so bad. I'm looking at a 500$ LP upgrade before that happens to me.

First, the five speed shaker is the same as the 6.5 has. NV(g)4500.

Nice comparison though.

On the MPG. I thought for sure the Cummins would waste the 6.5 for mileage. Then again, the Cummins probably weighs 2K more.

Suicide doors are available on our gen trucks. Just not near as common as the Dodges and I don't believe they were available before 95.

If I was to go with something besides Chev, it would be Cummins power. Like you said, the ability to quickly and easily turn those engines up is far beyond what we can dream of with 6.5's. Have fun with your new rig. :thumbsup:

Nice comparison though.

On the MPG. I thought for sure the Cummins would waste the 6.5 for mileage. Then again, the Cummins probably weighs 2K more.

Suicide doors are available on our gen trucks. Just not near as common as the Dodges and I don't believe they were available before 95.

If I was to go with something besides Chev, it would be Cummins power. Like you said, the ability to quickly and easily turn those engines up is far beyond what we can dream of with 6.5's. Have fun with your new rig. :thumbsup:

Thanks. Funny I drove the Tahoe to work this a.m. and it is definitely quicker off the line. No bites on it yet. If it doesn't sell by the winter and I have a good season I may just have to keep it.

I had a buddy in school with an 01 dodge cummins automatic and he had issues with some solenoid in the transmission that caused it to shift funky. It was a pretty expensive solenoid if i remember. He kept saying that it was a prone to failure item.....

I've heard there's 2 different NV4500s. The NV4500LD(light duty) which has the aluminum case and is used in the dodge gassers(318,360) and the 6.5. Then there's the NV4500HD which is the cast iron one for the cummins.

Not sure how true this is but i read somewhere(maybe it was the old site?) that GM uses the NV4500 Aluminum case and dodge uses the NV4500 cast iron case on the diesels.

Thought you were still a Mod over there...? Or you were, weren't you?

Still there. but it is the "old site" compared to DTR which is the new site. I come here as often as i go there, just to see whats going on and how your all doing. Patching "The Rust Bucket's" floors has been taking all my free time lately.

Hopefully will get to see Kenny's new truck at the next get together.

Here are some facts on the NV4500;

http://www.offroaders.com/directory/products/NV4500-exploded.htm

The dodge and GM trans are the same. They used differant gear ratios up to 1995 then they shared the same gear ratios.

But, read for yourself. Enjoy! :thumbsup:

Interesting read Marty Thanks. :thumbsup:

Here are some facts on the NV4500;

http://www.offroaders.com/directory/products/NV4500-exploded.htm

The dodge and GM trans are the same. They used differant gear ratios up to 1995 then they shared the same gear ratios.

But, read for yourself. Enjoy! :thumbsup:

i got this off the link you posted

Lubrication:
You MUST use the correct synthetic lubricant. The GM part no. for the correct oil is 12346190 (quart). The Dodge part number for the same oil is 4874459 Use of ANY other oil in the NV4500 will lead to failure and also voids any chance of a warranty claim

i used royal purple in mine it is my understanding that it is the same thing am i wrong? i the syncros in 2nd are gone so i have to double clutch when driving could the RP have caused this??

Yea, the aluminum cast was the 3500 version. Mine sure as heck ain't an aluminum one. :eek: 92/93 GM's shared the same ration as the Dodge. That bull low gear of 6.34:1. Love that gear. ):h

Back