• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

AC Delete Pulley Issue - IT BROKE!

Mikey von

Reaction score
My wife took my Suburban to work this morning and while she was heading down the drive, there was a loud noise and she lost power steering and brakes. Upon inspection, the AC delete pulley came apart.

A little background on my setup for those who don't remember me, it has been a while. The sub is a '89 3/4 4x4 squarebody. It has a hopped up 6.2L TD with '99 6.5HO water pump, 6.5L single thermo-crossover, and I believe the serp setup is from a '94 with a AC delete pulley.

Here is what happened:

XDCp_XK1e4FUoe3I_9Oq5o3iyQh3xzDrhgF78nWk84XZdx8j7ew2-fPuHB9iDhPhoOPJyNKF0s6I3pgKCrf4LKMuweI8bxVKIQ7PQDbBhxssD3XqVKAWvyjQ2JmS_Zl118dwOkElEqDXOgYWeoRWcLNbLry_6d6Sr8gor1rHzggpHV0gPqDFcbZhy8nJepaiBPxEU2JfFboyHZtuVuxup7NJVTHcVnCWbdyCd4ztM4XYKEJa7liTibv-sdwDK41DCdw0APU8ScU1-TZdjzeH3mYjnORmnaKdZbtVOj5towyFUGrPVddC63lp4wxBmToiPSnO2XmJGAPw-byC-sj3lOFo-SUIgyMqohkEoAnUwDhjqVCUO9iliMIIui7bnYXQ6MJImmaStJy50in6jL5JBD5wFY8EepsBqD2alEG8hecZDlkxF_NH12np8fpda6B8OyWbe4BCcC_hMORPbmzklb_hbCPtOtcmi9SspA2oM7RJHSXGGhTzx_03hBL6Yyyu8m6LvkvIPotiOdohkOOQ7PLgQ9mF3xeMGNNEA_dMv6l-fkiT8WtMqzKNcB_uACqwHoLhXe5lYsD2KyCJ7FH69iaX07oy_OM=w1144-h643-no

YhaI0Eht2MEV8bLqCnXhEPl-X9bry_T7ml4UbYHouMHgOsCfp9QkOlj8J9d7daGbIE3Qh0ezuzSB8u3q1cH5_NUCeunMo0AliLuEaUrCbdIrUHUjikNG43OkltGJXxNiVX7GqNElxEJrbHO-dPPl9HbGZwwPf9h2hfrsUcpdVxnlqpekOSLW_rb7aP5oPJY5qRP316sWDaCZwkxR6pI6mpuIqtVg_eLHEBJTzWZbfl9MrxqcawIdu5pl7MfS-XFCGHj-lBqzPkClX48yAorhy4U90qeEJp70ZpthIje-VS7EOROC_6uQ-RHS2UCn8kVBIAuxicrHAi7l3jut2rEM2rVEG7O1qvUKuLDcoZxuKEQp_Q7I_PKkfO5-h7v9vODYgzaC42b85LX7V0lWJFZdl60r8HKyMayVO6NnTAtLB5sWNLrj6dBJaWfkwM9qnYkE6wFvnftgMuuRRQwvvm_ydtHxhCKIj8fnHWTLeKPumVoVe6flwyH5EuQJZkNTZIDKOUGsWkqsOzJonnpTHs0WTlrfhOlR706FkOVNqfF-GkSab2QJ_BRXAYwHE2bm5dyTYbqNnUICxNZFkHvYIrcTvSuqJea_MoM=w1144-h643-no

Is this fixable?

Build thread: http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/th...w-built-6-2l-td-big-burb-aka-the-beast.43773/

Pics didnt come through. It was nice rereading that thread.
I notice you did a dmax fan but didn't use the balanced flow water pump&fan clutch- any reason?

Pics didnt come through. It was nice rereading that thread.
I notice you did a dmax fan but didn't use the balanced flow water pump&fan clutch- any reason?

Hmm, pics showing on my end. I will try again.

I know i got the water pump, used, early on in the build. When I got the fan, I thought I got the suggested clutch. I do have heat issues, it basically runs hot all of the time, like 205.

205 is ok. North of 215 is not. The fanclutch you got is probably the good one for the bolt on style water pump. The best waterpump is the balanced flow and is identified by a spin on fan clutch. Problem with old style water pump is he driver side stay cooler and the passanger side gets hotter. Where your temp sender is you can get a skewed reading.

If your not overheating, dont swap it in a panic, just plan ahead for the next time water pump or fanclutch is due.

I'm not allowed to admit to liking Kalifornia for it's laws, but off the record your part of the state would be a welcome annex to Nevada...

Pics working now. Holy crud.

205 is ok. North of 215 is not. The fanclutch you got is probably the good one for the bolt on style water pump. The best waterpump is the balanced flow and is identified by a spin on fan clutch. Problem with old style water pump is he driver side stay cooler and the passanger side gets hotter. Where your temp sender is you can get a skewed reading.

If your not overheating, dont swap it in a panic, just plan ahead for the next time water pump or fanclutch is due.

I'm not allowed to admit to liking Kalifornia for it's laws, but off the record your part of the state would be a welcome annex to Nevada...

Pics working now. Holy crud.

No plans to swap out water pump or fan clutch anytime soon. I don't believe they are the root of the problem.

I really do love where I live. I could not imagine living anywhere besides Northern California. I do wish it were the State of Jefferson and keep my fingers crossed that it happens.

Any ideas on the pulley? Fixable or replace.

Well at least it didn't hit the ground and then take out a tire...

Now's your chance to put in the AC you have always wanted and said so in that awesome build thread. IMO I would look for the 1996 and newer serpentine setup as it has a better compressor on the driver's side of the engine. Otherwise drop a R4 compressor in it now just for the idler bearing. Used leaking R4 is fine as you only need the pulley bearing.

I thought WTF's a vacuum pump doing there at first. :confused:

205 is measured and verified by what? Old gauges and senders are just that with new parts being iffy.

Well at least it didn't hit the ground and then take out a tire...

Now's your chance to put in the AC you have always wanted and said so in that awesome build thread. IMO I would look for the 1996 and newer serpentine setup as it has a better compressor on the driver's side of the engine. Otherwise drop a R4 compressor in it now just for the idler bearing. Used leaking R4 is fine as you only need the pulley bearing.

I thought WTF's a vacuum pump doing there at first. :confused:

205 is measured and verified by what? Old gauges and senders are just that with new parts being iffy.

205 measured on old stock gauges. It acts pretty normal, so I have often wondered if gauges are just off.

I have a ton to do with the build. Life is just so busy and she has been running well. She has not been a time or funding priority.

I have a few ac compressors in the shop. When I get home, I will take a look

Replace the pulley if you dont put in the ac compressor.
The $10 you save trying to fix it is a gamble.

Remember you can put in the compressor, leave caps on the fittings without even having to hook up hoses or electrical. The bearing on the compressor will just spin without ever turning the compressor. If you want one anyways, might as well start putting in the desired parts rather than spend more money on temporary items.

Just mentioning the water pump for the future. Better to plan ahead is all.

205 measured on old stock gauges. It acts pretty normal, so I have often wondered if gauges are just off.

Consider swapping over to a digital gauge. Granted my system is a little more modern, but I rarely look at the dash cluster anymore and get everything from the ECM as displayed on my Edge. Including ECT.

I even ignore the dash speedo as it is off by 2 mph (as compared to GPS and the occasional permanent roadside RADAR display) where the ECM shows the correct speed.

His truck wouldn't support an Edge. The Edge needs an OBD-2 bus, his is all mechanical. Any gauge he'd run would be a "universal" type.

Correct. But it can use individual gauges.

Only reason for comment about using the Edge versus dash gauges was to highlight that the analog dash information is not necessarily accurate (as many of us observe).

Actually, any vehicle can likely use the Edge by way of the add-on sensors. But without access to OBD-II information, using the Edge is probably more expensive than going the individual gauge route.

Here are some pictures. My ac delete pulley appears to be a modified vacuum pump. I was going to just put the spare vacuum pump I have in its place, but it is a smooth pulley instead of ribbed.

I do have an ac setup, but unsure how the brackets go (and which brackets to use). Any pictures of passenger side ac setup?

Other solutions? I can spend some funds

I need to get my travel trailer to the fair next week, plus 2 pigs. I would like to use my suburban. 20160821_210657.jpg 20160821_210738.jpg 20160821_210800.jpg 20160821_210815.jpg 20160821_210916.jpg

That bracket and pulley is off a non-ac 92-95 setup, specific bracket. I have one and noticed what you noticed in that it looks like a vacuum pump drive without the vacuum pump pod on it. I would think you'd be able to use the vacuum pump in place and remove the pod. You'd have to find a freeze plug to go in the hole where the pod's drive was to keep out contaminate. You'll use a power steering pump pulley puller to pull the pulley off the drive that's bad and put it on the vacuum pump assembly you have. They're common and available at the auto parts store usually for rent.

Back