• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

abs light, 1995 k-3500 how to check why its on?

vaicase

Reaction score
my 1995 k-3500 abs light is on. why. i went o reilys and the have a ob1 scanner. and it reads abs codes. it says my truck is not responding. it did say my truck was a 1995 so i think it reads my truck. just not the abs codes for some reason. i have an old obd 1 scanner and it has an abs swiutch. it says 73, then 86 then 12 then 25 then 35 then back to 73 and so on. i tried unhooking the battery for an hour. it will not clear. it does seem the rear braks do lock up. not the front. but that might be because it light in the back. thank you much.

Last edited by a moderator:
ABS light means system ABS disabled due to a fault. Check wires to the sensors and then check the sensors and 'tone wheels' for rust and metal build up. The 1995 ABS systems had a defective spring clip in the motor causing module failure - may be under recall.

i checked the wires on the front ? it looks good. it seems the rear has no sensers on the whole system. no sensers in the whole rear setup, lines are just like a truck without abs. only one wire on each front wheel, so is there a way to check the codes? or is it either its on when something is wrong? or off when it o.k.? how does it reset? even if i find a problem? also how do i check for a recall? thanks

Jump pin A and H in the ALDL connector and count the ABS light blinks.

H is 2nd from the left on the bottom row.

Not of much help, but my 95 won't scan with a scanner either. I hooked it up to a TECH 1 and it wouldn't detect it. I ended up jumping the 2 terminals and counting the flashes, but this method I found gives LOTS of codes(some of which didn't even apply to my system).

Rear wheel is sensed off the VSS system: aka rear trans speed sensor. Switches for the 2/4WD mode were recalled as well.

A phone call to the dealer with a VIN will clear up recalls. They had a reprogram sensitive ABS for different road conditions as a safety campaign to reduce stopping distances on some surfaces.

In your case the system is seeing something wrong like a bad front wheel sensor including wiring to the sensor, corrosion, broken/metal plugged/missing tone wheel on the hub and possibly bad hub bearings on the front. The ABS unit itself could have problems and this is where code retrieval will point you in a good direction.

Unplug the front wheel sensors and do an ohm check of them, wiggle the wires and see if it changes the ohms.

Rear wheel is sensed off the VSS system: aka rear trans speed sensor. Switches for the 2/4WD mode were recalled as well.

A phone call to the dealer with a VIN will clear up recalls. They had a reprogram sensitive ABS for different road conditions as a safety campaign to reduce stopping distances on some surfaces.

In your case the system is seeing something wrong like a bad front wheel sensor including wiring to the sensor, corrosion, broken/metal plugged/missing tone wheel on the hub and possibly bad hub bearings on the front. The ABS unit itself could have problems and this is where code retrieval will point you in a good direction.

Unplug the front wheel sensors and do an ohm check of them, wiggle the wires and see if it changes the ohms.

Measuring the resistance in the front wheel sensor (both sides) can determine the failure also. IIRC, it should show some ohm like >1000 ohm. The bad one shows 0 ohm.
The connector is behind the rubber flap of the wheel fender.

Measuring the resistance in the front wheel sensor (both sides) can determine the failure also. IIRC, it should show some ohm like >1000 ohm. The bad one shows 0 ohm.
The connector is behind the rubber flap of the wheel fender.

I have the same thing on my 95 for 1/2 a year,ABS light on
Am doing the brakes on it now,so decided to look at the wheel sensors.
one measured around 1000 OHM,the other zero.

Now the best part.
Phoned two diff out fits for a new sensor. One wants $140, the other $190.:eek:

That's F"cking robbery :rolleyes5: :mad2:

Sooo!,to hell with the ABS,i'm gonna pull the plugs.

My darn 95 k2500- I jumped the ALDL pins A to H and I get nothing, no flashing abs light for a code , just stays on solid abs light.

It is popping a 10 amp brake fuse # 18 in the little fuse panel on the drivers side of the dash. I pulled all the connectors off the abs pump and it still pops that fuse as soon as I turn the key to on. Time to chase wires I guess.

You may have bad bearing(s) in the front hub. This is a frequent cause of abs light as worn bearings affect the gap on the sensor.

Brad

I would take the truck for a ride on a smooth road and listen for a noise from either side of the front end, If the bearing is going out you may hear a humming noise which may change as you turn.

If this is the case you probably have a bearing failing in the hub assembly. Most often (but I don't know for your particular model) the hub assembly changes out and includes a new abs sensor and cable. I would check for sure--the parts guy..or girl will know.

If you have to change it I would have a ox-acet torch handy as you probably will have to pull the caliper hanger and the can be stinkers sometimes. Just did 2 on my son's Jeep.

Good luck.. let us know how you make out.

Brad

I have the same thing on my 95 for 1/2 a year,ABS light on
Am doing the brakes on it now,so decided to look at the wheel sensors.
one measured around 1000 OHM,the other zero.

Now the best part.
Phoned two diff out fits for a new sensor. One wants $140, the other $190.:eek:

That's F"cking robbery :rolleyes5: :mad2:

Sooo!,to hell with the ABS,i'm gonna pull the plugs.

You can the entire bearing hub with new sensor for $190. Rockauto sells the senders for like $30.

Back