• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

ABS comes on every time it rains!

Bigburban

Reaction score
I have been having this issue with the brakes on the burb. Every time it rains the abs starts going crazy and will engage with the slightest push of the brakes and then act perfectly fine after it gets done spazzing out? I have replaced lines, calipers, pads and checked for any air in the lines. Wheels sensors seem fine as I have no ABS or brake light, abs motor seems to be working as it sounds normal and loud when it engages. Never have a problem except when it rains. The hydro boost was replaced less than 2 years ago and I have good stopping power wet or dry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sensor, harness or connector on one of the wheel sensors is what I'd go looking for 1st, something subjected to splash from road when on wet pavement, maybe a insulation break at one of the harness support brackets down by wheel.

Are your brakes grabbing at the slightest touch of the brake pedal?

This is a common problem with the organic brake shoes that are on most of our trucks. If you ride the brakes lightly as you first start out it will drive off the moisture in the lining. I have to be careful that I heat my brakes up after driving through deeper water holes before parking for the night. Several times I have set the e-brake at camp after wheeling through the muck and the next morning it takes 4wd to break the rear end loose.

X2 to what Rob said, I've been working nite shift 12s this week reading thread title only & completely glossed over the part where you said checked the electrical stuff, and have no ABS codes

Are your brakes grabbing at the slightest touch of the brake pedal?

This is a common problem with the organic brake shoes that are on most of our trucks. If you ride the brakes lightly as you first start out it will drive off the moisture in the lining. I have to be careful that I heat my brakes up after driving through deeper water holes before parking for the night. Several times I have set the e-brake at camp after wheeling through the muck and the next morning it takes 4wd to break the rear end loose.

Sounds like what mine is doing. When raining If I hit the brakes normal they grab and set the abs off. I have had a couple of time that the rear brakes have done like you said and I had to throttle it up to get the back loose usually make a good thump! Are there any better pads out there? I am going to recheck all the wheel sensors to see if anyway they are getting wet.

If its only when it rains, then its got to be related to a wheel sensor.

If there are no ABS codes, then it can get tough to diagnose.

The unit on my DaHoooley was doing a similar thing. I finally got tired of chasing it around and just disconnected the damned thing and yanked the bulbs out of the cluster.

Brakes work great now and I can actually stop the truck in wet or slippery conditons without having to put up with all that nonsense.

Read a recent article entitled "What they dont want you to know about ABS"

The government has covered up the truth about these ABS systems and how much they
contribute to more horrific wrecks, that if the vehicles were without ABS likely would not have happened.

ABS has been proven time and again to cause more rollovers with the SUVs.

I tow horses and simply can't have a brake system that is not dependable.

All that jerking, vibrating and pulsing without stopping causes the trailer brakes to get stupid hinky and grab and jerk, tossing animals all over in the trailer.

ABS should BY LAW have a switch on the dash that allows the driver to select ON/OFF at their discression.

If you want to play Russian Roulette you can try it in the ON mode :eek:

In a panic stop condition on my 95 DaHooley, the distance to come to a full stop is doubled with the ABS working as opposed to with it off.

The brakes work smooth and easy without the ABS

Just coming up to an intersection where there is a tad bit of loose gravel from winter sanding will send that thing into a spaz attack negating the ability to stop.

Had this happen last winter and the right front wheel slid slightly on a tiny patch of loose gravel and the brakes failed totally (went into pulse, jerk, spazzzz mode) and I ran right out into the intersection before I could get it to stop.

Luckily there was nobody coming and no cops watching.

Before I cut that things life line, I had two times that I jammed the park brake on to stop, as the brakes simply refused to do anything other than buzz, whirrr, jerk and pulse.

This stuff is terribly dangerous and not to be trusted.

The concept of "When its working properly" it great, is just too iffy in my judgement.

Being in commercial trucking I have seen the carnage that the ABS systems have caused.

I would not have an ABS on a Class 8 truck on a dieing bet.

Too many lives at stake to trust these proven faulty systems.

The big problem is that the ABS can't analize the sitution and act accordingly, it only acts within the parameters of the programing, which is FINITE and not dynamic like the real world.

Cut the thing loose and you will be far safer.

If that ABS system does one of its stunts when your Missus is driving and she slams into the back of someone, the "MY ABS DID IT" is not going to fly very far with the Insurance company.

Good luck and do be safe.

Missy

So you can just disconnect the whole thing? I hate the abs system. Did you just disco the plug on the abs unit and pull the brake warning lights out? No ses codes?

Heck, just cut the power wire to the unit and install a switch in the dash if you want a selectable on/off abs system.....

@ bigburban:

Yup, while I've never done it, many just unplug the unit. My understanding is that it doesn't even turn on the cluster ab light if you do this.

Back