• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A Spring ? A Stray Spring ?

MrMarty51

Reaction score
About ready to gain a mysterious prestone leak out the back of the enjun.
When I pulled the intake manifold this time there was a very small amount of prestone on one side at the back of the valley. Decided to replace the T-Stat cross over and rear passage cover gaskets.
T-Stat cross over off, head surfaces cleaned, something in the valley ahead of the injection pump, a spring, WTF ? ? ?
Magnet and fish it out. Give it a bit of a warsh.
I dont recognize it or remember ever seeing such a critter from this enjun.
Looked up the injection pump R&R and it done show a thing like that spring on that process. No warnings about being sure it is in there before installing the pump. If it come from that its been in the valley for a very long time.
Does anyone recognize a spring of these dimensions ? ?
IMG_6507.jpeg

About ready to gain a mysterious prestone leak out the back of the enjun.
When I pulled the intake manifold this time there was a very small amount of prestone on one side at the back of the valley. Decided to replace the T-Stat cross over and rear passage cover gaskets.
T-Stat cross over off, head surfaces cleaned, something in the valley ahead of the injection pump, a spring, WTF ? ? ?
Magnet and fish it out. Give it a bit of a warsh.
I dont recognize it or remember ever seeing such a critter from this enjun.
Looked up the injection pump R&R and it done show a thing like that spring on that process. No warnings about being sure it is in there before installing the pump. If it come from that its been in the valley for a very long time.
Does anyone recognize a spring of these dimensions ? ?
View attachment 81699
Valve spring? Thermostat Spring?

Piston return spring.

Yeah, you might find the rest of your t stat parts banging around…
I checked down through all of the intake ports and none of the piston return springs was missing. The piston return springs are a little longer and smaller in diameter and not nearly as stout looking as this one.
I now am thinking that this spring must have come from a sprung thermostat sometime in the trucks previous life.
Most likely not an OE thermostat replacement but some other brand that had failed.
The OE thermostats that are in the housing is a couple of mighty stout units and I dont see how they could fail to the point of releasing their springs.
I guess this thread can be stamped as mystery solved and now lets hear some banter.
Oh yeah, I’m going to see if I can get the little bead blast cabinet to work good enough to blast the T-Stat housing and clean it up.

It could have been from a previous el cheapo CDR that failed/came apart on the motor. A CDR is easy enough to check and clean, as long as the diaphragm and spring is good, a good cleaning with carb cleaner to get the carbon/gunk out of it and you're good for another 30K miles as long as your engine doesn't have excessive blow-by. Then check/clean it more frequently.

@MrMarty51 this is in your neighborhood! Miles City this Friday (6/16)! If you haven't tried them, they're GREAT! It's a family-owned operation, one brother has the fishing boat and processing up in Alaska, the others run the fleet of food trucks in the States. I've been eating them since 3 years before the Pandemic, and it was a great option when they were in town during it!

They operate in Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Kansas, Texas, Nebraska, Missouri, Iowa, South Dakota for now. I was (not) surprised to see they've recently added Texas!
Screenshot_20230613_150410_Samsung Internet.jpg

It could have been from a previous el cheapo CDR that failed/came apart on the motor. A CDR is easy enough to check and clean, as long as the diaphragm and spring is good, a good cleaning with carb cleaner to get the carbon/gunk out of it and you're good for another 30K miles as long as your engine doesn't have excessive blow-by. Then check/clean it more frequently.
I forgot to check the CDR to make sure it is still together.
Dang. I hope it aint come apart.

@MrMarty51 this is in your neighborhood! Miles City this Friday (6/16)! If you haven't tried them, they're GREAT! It's a family-owned operation, one brother has the fishing boat and processing up in Alaska, the others run the fleet of food trucks in the States. I've been eating them since 3 years before the Pandemic, and it was a great option when they were in town during it!

They operate in Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Kansas, Texas, Nebraska, Missouri, Iowa, South Dakota for now. I was (not) surprised to see they've recently added Texas!
View attachment 81914
And another dang except now it is a double dang.
I’ll be well on My way to the cabin this Friday AM.
I will tell the wifey to stock me up on some slamon.

Fish and chips. Fresh caught, flash frozen Alaskan Cod fillets, beer battered, deep fried with nice, fat, seasoned potato planks!

Back