• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A Ladies way to find a crack in your block.

Missy Good Wench

Wild Blonde from Cloud Mt
Reaction score
Most all 6.2/6.5 owners have heard of the nasty main web cracks that are of major concern when doing a rebuild or purchasing a block.

Here's an easy way to find the ones that can't be seen at a glance.

Wash the block well to get all the oil and crud off the thing.

Wipe the main webs (center) with a rag soaked with brake clean.

Now A touch of WD 40 applied to the areas of the outer bolts on the center mains running down the web.

Allow to soak a bit then wipe all clean with the BK soaked rag again. Allow to dry.

**** Using White foundation makeup powder, dust the area that cracks are suspect in and then wait. Any cracks will show quickly as a black line in the white powder.

Another way is to use a propane torch and heat the webs up to a point that they feel hot to the touch. Any cracks will contain oil that will bubble out and show the evil little crack.

Best

MGW

Last edited:
"White foundation makeup powder"... I have been WONDERING where I was going to find a use for that stuff, Robyn!

LOL... Merry Christmas!

Would baby powder work instead?

If the wife catches me stealing her powder, man, I would no longer be able to type.):h

If my daughter catches me stealing her baby powder, well, that would not hurt quite as bad!:D

They make some stuff for checking for hairline cracks in welds. Any cracks will show up bright green.

I think that would look better then walking around with a womans makup bag but thats just my opinion.

In addition to what Robyn posted if block is still in truck, remove pan, wipe webbing/surfaces off with acetone, laquer thinner, or other aeromatic solvent that evaporates, go away for 15 minutes or so; grab adult beverage if that is your fancy or other liquid if you don't indulge, or have already consumed too many adult beverages, oil will weep from cracks.

I've seen a lot of methods for crack detection, but that's a good one. I'll have to remember that, good one Robyn!!
Don

In addition to what Robyn posted if block is still in truck, remove pan, wipe webbing/surfaces off with acetone, laquer thinner, or other aeromatic solvent that evaporates, go away for 15 minutes or so; grab adult beverage if that is your fancy or other liquid if you don't indulge, or have already consumed too many adult beverages, oil will weep from cracks.

then tears will weep from your eye's!!!!....LOL:eek::eek::eek:

Back