• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A/C for dummies - where does the orifice tube go?

Pillow

Recruit
Reaction score
I got the A/C rebuild kit off of gar-bay and I am stuck on figuring out where the orifice tube goes? The long filter thing if orifice tube is the wrong term :)

From what Aces said I am just going to go by refridgerant Lbs and temp out of the vents.

Should be a blast tomorrow! I am have missed the A/C in the last couple of hot hot weeks.

FWIW the gar-bay kit is (of course) made in China.

Installation of the compressor and drier were a snap!

I believe it goes in the condensor in NBS. The orifice will hve a direction arrow on it. The arrow should point to the Evaporator.

NBS? You lost me there Kenny.

I can take pics tomorrow, it was/is too dark tonight for my phone (w/o flash to do it)

Thanks!

Do you have rear A/C? If so then the orifice tube is located under the passenger side battery.
If you only have front A/C then the orifice tube would be in the lower pipe of the condensor.
The long filter sock of the orifice tube points towards the condensor.

Do the NBS burbs have one or two orifices ? My OBS burb has 2.
NBS=New Body stlye(88-00 to us)
OBS=Old Body style(73-91)
Dmax guys will have a differnt take on this.

I wasn't specific to Burbs on OBS vs NBS.
OBS K1500-2500 73-87
Suburban,Blazer, JImmy and K3500 OBS 73-91
NBS K1500-K2500 88-98
NBS Suburban Tahoe Yukon 92-99
NBS K3500 92-00 except HD which I "think" went to 02

I asked my wife which orifice the tube goes and she hit me.:eek:

Mine would react the same way):h. As for the orifice, there is 1 located in the Y-pipe just behind the condensor underneath the passenger side battery with dual air and there is an expansion valve located at the rear evaporator inside of the housing. Also there is a filter in the rear expansion valve that is a VERY fine mesh and easily clogs up. If your rear air doesn't get as cold or colder than the front air, it is probably plugged up.

Mine would react the same way):h. As for the orifice, there is 1 located in the Y-pipe just behind the condensor underneath the passenger side battery with dual air and there is an expansion valve located at the rear evaporator inside of the housing. Also there is a filter in the rear expansion valve that is a VERY fine mesh and easily clogs up. If your rear air doesn't get as cold or colder than the front air, it is probably plugged up.

Is the origice in the top leg of the Y-pipe? Undo the nut on the pipe and it's inside there?

BTW I pulled the orifice valve out and the VOV I order does not work. It's too tall on the dryer side to allow the pipes to be reconnected. Stuck the old orifice back in and it readily connects. Off to NAPA to get a standard orifice. Now I know why they specified without rear air. With rear air and they don't fit.:nono:

I got the nut loose on the y section but the lines wouldn't separate,I thought that I was going to destroy the lines.

Hello CG, welcome to thetruckstop.
Some heat from a butane torch helps greatly to expand the nut and help to free its threads.
It also might be a good idea to start a new topic on what You are trying to accomplish and I am sure that a lot of help will jump right in.
This thread I see is from 2010 so a new thread would be great.

Back