• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A/C Fan issues

I put in the new pigtail and still doesn't work. I just hear a single click under the passenger side of the dash when I turn the fan switch. It did the same thing with the old pigtail. Thinking it is probably the fan motor.

I have replaced the blower switch, pigtail, and now the blower. The fan only blows high. Any thoughts?

The resistor pack on top of the airbox is notorious for burning out the resistors one at a time, starting with the lowest speed and working up, so that eventually it becomes a single (high speed) fan until the fan motor finally burns out or the resistor pack is replaced.

Forgot about that diode!

Also, go with an ACDelco replacement ONLY on the resistor pack. Aftermarket cheapies will have the right resistance, but far less wattage capable, resistors and/or far less heat sink dissipation capabilities of the OEM GM part. In other words, they work right for a while (a LOT shorter while than the OEM did!) then start crapping out just like the 20+ year old did that you just replaced a year or so ago! Hope your back is up to the contortions again!

That's not what they are talking about . Go up a couple of lines . See the black oval connector with the springs on the back ? Those are different resistors for the various speeds . Should be on the heater box under the hood .

Looks about right. It can be replaced without removing the fan motor. Biggest issue is getting it back in without damaging those long spindley arms that hold the springs.

Yes , that looks right . You should be able to find that on your truck . See if you can remove the old one .

On your Burb, @Rodd, the resistor pack is located on top of the airbox, underneath the dashboard, between the fan motor and the driveshaft/tranny "hump". It can, with a lot of careful maneuvering, be removed and replaced (without damaging any of the resistors [those coiled "springs"], losing the little mounring bolts or f'ing up the electrical connector) with the airbox assembly in place by removing the two lower and loosening the upper side mounting bolts for the dash and rotating it up a couple of inches for more access room to the top of the airbox. FAR easier is just to remove the fan motor and airbox as a unit, then replace both the resistor pack and fan motor, check/fix/replace the airdoors, etc and then reinstall the unit.

Just my two cents worth from doing both my 94 C2400 P/U and my 98 K2500 Burb.

Thanks! I'll have my son pull it out again so we can get at the resister. Nice thing when your son is willing to get dirty.

Back