• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

A 6.5 has roots in with it's 2 cycle brethren

figment

A junkie for the purr of a 6.5L
Reaction score
In the last couple of weeks the 6.5 has roots in with it's 2 cycle brethren. Cold starting this thing lately has me reminiscing of the old KW at the farm. The 6.5 is acting like the old 8-71 when the governor is "searching" for the right idle speed, and at this point in my life I don't need another thorn in my ass. But with the '51 down and ripped apart (having to change the flex plate) it's the only winter wheels we've got. So tensions are a little hi around here, so if it's not a simple fix my wife has threaten to trade it in. After living with her for 15 yrs. I'm expecting to come home to a new vehicle in my driveway any day now. I really hate giving the bank money!

Grounds, Glows, cables, batteries ...

Pull the plug off the coolant temp sensor in the crossover (will give you max glow and advance) next time you try starting it cold... Simple stuff first!

my K-5 always hunts and coughs when it's "super cold"(for this area anyways), but that's also a DB2 pump. No electronics to control the idle. Last night it was 15*F and the ol girl started with no block heater, but boy oh boy was she mad. Coughing and sputtering but it cleared up with some extra glow time after it was running. Only thing left to suggest it was cold out was the very loud diesel clatter and a slight rolling idle(it's always done that a few times when cold then clears up).

I'd do what Jim suggests and start with the basics. Marginal glow plugs may work at say 45 but when you drop the temp to 25 the problem becomes exponentially worse. Poor grounds not only mean slow cranking, but can mean poor GP heatup time too. Corroded positive leads can also be at fault.

Odds are it's something simple. The electronic injection was beyond picky with power/ground connections. I love the simplicity of my 6.2, but the 6.5 always started/idled better in the cold.

my K-5 always hunts and coughs when it's "super cold"(for this area anyways), but that's also a DB2 pump. No electronics to control the idle. Last night it was 15*F and the ol girl started with no block heater, but boy oh boy was she mad. Coughing and sputtering but it cleared up with some extra glow time after it was running. Only thing left to suggest it was cold out was the very loud diesel clatter and a slight rolling idle(it's always done that a few times when cold then clears up).

I'd do what Jim suggests and start with the basics. Marginal glow plugs may work at say 45 but when you drop the temp to 25 the problem becomes exponentially worse. Poor grounds not only mean slow cranking, but can mean poor GP heatup time too. Corroded positive leads can also be at fault.

Odds are it's something simple. The electronic injection was beyond picky with power/ground connections. I love the simplicity of my 6.2, but the 6.5 always started/idled better in the cold.

It was +6 C yesterday morning, that's about 40F. and I've got it so that is hardly clacks but there's a hell of a bark at the other end.

Grounds, Glows, cables, batteries ...

Pull the plug off the coolant temp sensor in the crossover (will give you max glow and advance) next time you try starting it cold... Simple stuff first!

Following the all the advice on here I cleaned and or replaced what was necessary when I first got it two yrs ago and sealed the connections with generous amount liquid rubber, as for the glows they seem to be working cause fires right away with healthy dose of blue hayze as it hunts. Only does it when it's completely cooled off and it's the same no matter what the outside temp. I don't mind that it does it but if it's signs of bigger trouble their will be no keeping it from the other half. Ever see a kitten rip up a pit bull? I've bin told it's not pretty.

liquid rubber might actually be holding in moisture. mine will lightly hunt even when driving down the road when cold. I can hear the clacking change as the stepper motor tries to keep up

Also don't forget injectors. And if you have 60G glow plugs, they need more glow time than the 95 ECM will provide.

And just like that, it clears up. All I did was disconnect the plug on temp sensor start it shut it off plugged it back on, no hunt , Have started it 5 or 6 times since, stone cold no hunt, goes onto higher idle till warm then slows to idle. Strange quirks this thing has, guess it hasn't shown me all of them yet after 2 1/2yrs.

Before this problem I noticed how much better this machine has been running lately, run's pretty quiet and stronger than it ever has. The voice in the back of my head muttering something but I can't quite make it out??????

Back