• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

99 suburban conversion

Truckerbuilder

Reaction score
I have a 99 k1500 suburban I'm wanting to convert to a k3500 diesel suburban. Was wandering if I bought a 1999 k3500 pickup which style would be closest for body bolt on. And what if any systems would have to be modified?

Welcome
Do you also mean it is now gasoline and you want to go diesel and everything else?

Big project vs way big project.

Body swap,definately. Seen it done a few years back, trying to jar my memories...

Youll be making some body mounts for the rear of the suburban, fuel fill was an issue, iirc a 3-4" body lift made both go easier.

He kept complete truck chassis. Swapped of dash and wiring from truck into burb

I think extended cab short bed is the closest as far as wheelbase, but truck frames are quite a bit different than SUBURBAN's.

I'm a welder and fabricator by trade, but thinking a 3" body lift and 4" suspension lift. Looking to keep all dash components of pickup and maybe fabricating new body mounts. Was looking to replace only cab back on truck. Have a body man on standby for paint, but a crew cab truck, extended cab, or regular cab. Haven't been able to find wheelbase dominions or frame dimensions on 1999 models.

Suburban's wheel base is the same as a regular cab long bed. You want to be REALLY radical, use a K3500 dually and put the rear flares on the Burb. Use the Burb's 42 gal rear tank in the swap. You could keep the P/U tank and fabricate a second fill and go dual tanks with either 78 or 66 gallons total capacity depending on the P/U's tank size.

Given the statement of body lift, watch for reduced airflow through the radiator.

If the end plan is to do a body swap, consider bolstering insulation around the area where the coolant hoses run adjacent to the exhaust as this is probably easier to do with the frame out of the way.

While on the topic of insulation, consider doing what you can to add sound deadening as from what I gather the Burb is much better at generating in-cab drone than the pickup.

And while we are spending your money, consider a manual conversion if you are good at rowing gears :D

Back