• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

99 Suburban 6.5 to 5.9 Cummins Swap

Got this out tonight. For those with lifted trucks and no vehicle lift, remove tires and put on jackstands as low as possible. I had to build a platform because the trans jack wasn’t tall enough.

Planning on removing engine tomorrow evening.

Attachments

• 703206FB-17B1-4EB1-934C-76323B5E89CB.jpeg
    703206FB-17B1-4EB1-934C-76323B5E89CB.jpeg
    195.9 KB · Views: 26
  • F7BDFB4E-8B08-43FC-AC95-4E749229349E.jpeg
    F7BDFB4E-8B08-43FC-AC95-4E749229349E.jpeg
    154.3 KB · Views: 23
Got the engine out, removed old mounts, cut off “ears” from frame motor mounts, chopped off diagonal supports, cleaned 20 years of grease/oil/diesel/power steering fluid/dirt from frame rails, clearanced trans tunnel pinch weld.

I read reports of frames cracking, so I’m prepping the entire frame for plating and reconfiguration of the crossmembers to better suit the Dana 60 and Cummins.

Attachments

• 95009C02-FF90-4C21-82E8-44D1893D0760.jpeg
    95009C02-FF90-4C21-82E8-44D1893D0760.jpeg
    188.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 6ED39050-2137-4420-A4DE-48F03C77034C.jpeg
    6ED39050-2137-4420-A4DE-48F03C77034C.jpeg
    208.4 KB · Views: 24
Literally no idea. New PMDs didn’t work, new IP didn’t work, new PCM with reflash to remove passlock didn’t work. I figure I’d rather skip the PCM all together. Spent too much time and too much money trying to fix it. Love the truck, but the engine was a headache. Many people solve the issues and it runs great. No such luck for me.

I got my 2nd gen Dodge intercooler mounted in the core support. I was looking at other threads around the web and they all said that the factory radiator location is fine, and the IC fits between the stock GM rad and then there is room for the AC condenser. I’m unclear what is different about this core support, because there is NO room between the IC and the hood latch mechanism/vertical support. The IC is as far forward as possible, removed the diagonal supports that sit between the stock rad and condenser, and it sucks up all of the room. ideas?

Attachments

• FC691EE4-98E0-4B34-85E9-F97CAA62C643.jpeg
    FC691EE4-98E0-4B34-85E9-F97CAA62C643.jpeg
    192.8 KB · Views: 33
I got my 2nd gen Dodge intercooler mounted in the core support. I was looking at other threads around the web and they all said that the factory radiator location is fine, and the IC fits between the stock GM rad and then there is room for the AC condenser. I’m unclear what is different about this core support, because there is NO room between the IC and the hood latch mechanism/vertical support. The IC is as far forward as possible, removed the diagonal supports that sit between the stock rad and condenser, and it sucks up all of the room. ideas?
OK, the hood latch bracket is cut from behind and eliminates the lower section of the bracket entirely to allow space for the condenser however; a flat metal support is welded to the modified bracket and the condenser is then mounted lowered about 2" to clear the latch assembly and hood hook.

Looking at the bracket from the side measure the thickness of the condenser and cut the bracket so there is space behind it for the condenser. You will need to rivet or weld your lower condenser mounting brackets lower on the rad support.

You are asking for trouble removing the diagonals and with them the CAC fits into the radiator support flush to its leading edge.

I see many people stating to even cut the diagonals on the front cross member to the chassis another bad idea unless gussets are installed to reinforce that area.

It’s an Arizona vehicle. Otherwise it would have to be a 1999+ 24 valve.
Correct. Just wanted to make sure you didn't get done and find out it couldn't be registered. I've dealt with the smog referee on a fuel injection setup I did on a 85 Suburban. There have been a few I know of that did 12 valve swaps to find out they won't allow it. That's going to be sweet. I did a 97 12V in a 71 Ford crew cab for a friend about 6 years ago that turned out pretty sweet. He drives it every day.

Correct. Just wanted to make sure you didn't get done and find out it couldn't be registered. I've dealt with the smog referee on a fuel injection setup I did on a 85 Suburban. There have been a few I know of that did 12 valve swaps to find out they won't allow it. That's going to be sweet. I did a 97 12V in a 71 Ford crew cab for a friend about 6 years ago that turned out pretty sweet. He drives it every day.
Yeah, CARB is the worst. They’ve crippled this state beyond repair.

Yeah. Well, my truck is a 99 and everytime I have to smog it they tell me the book shows I should have EGR. I said no thats the S engine code. So luckily I still have the stock emission sticker so they go by that. So being in the field I called BAR and ARB to let them know they need to update the specs for this truck. They both kind of laugh and say just don't lose your emission sticker. That was 6+ years ago. Still the same story every 2 years. The government of this state is a complete joke.

I really like the truck. I bought it in 2005 and it was all stock. It has been a really good reliable truck. I had the stock lift pump take a crap years ago and then a couple Walbros, now I'm running a Delphi pump for a Cummins with a regulator and that seems to be working well. Other than that it's been all maint. I'll probably be buried in this truck. I just did the new leather seat bottoms on the front seats and added heat. So Interior is in really good shape to.

Back