• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

99 Full floating axle/brakes question

mangus580

Reaction score
I am asking this here, since the drivetrain section is usually used by 'newer' guys...

Do the hubs need to be taken off, to get the drum off on a 99 Full Floater (14bolt) suburban axle? I am having a hard time getting them off...

Ok, I thought there was a change at some point when the drums were able to come off without removing the shafts. (like mid 90s somewhere).

No, not on a SUBURBAN. The SUBURBAN's drums should slide on unless somebody has changed something in it. The trucks have to have the hubs pulled to get the drums off.

I just took off the drum this past weekend - take the tire off, then take the 8? bolts out the hub (I hit it a couple of times with a rubber mallet due to gasket maker gluing it to the axle shaft), and sliding the axle with the flange out.

Oh, then you need to remove a C-spring/washer, and you'll need a socket for the adjustment nut to put it back on. (I had the tool but didn't want to beat it on, so I took a screw driver and my breaker bar handle and moved the nut enough to slide the square key out, and then used the screw driver and handle to remove the nut the rest of the way). If you've got the socket - go ahead and use that - cause it will make it easier, and you'll need it to put it back together again, if I'm not mistaken.

(this was on my truck's full floating axle...I haven't got a clue about suburbans)

Last edited:
Ok, I thought there was a change at some point when the drums were able to come off without removing the shafts. (like mid 90s somewhere).

at least on my 95 suburban the drums come off without pulling shafts (14-bolt FF).
I used the 'two hammer method' - place one hammer on the drum between the wheel bolts
and rap it with a second hammer. this broke the drum loose from the flange behind it.
You can do this in several spots for each drum. go easy though...

on my brother's 94 suburban shaft-pulling was not needed either (14-bolt FF).
but his drums were so rusted that he still needed a big slide hammer to get them off.

Anyone else with a 99 suburban that could confirm??

In the past I have had stuck drums. Not on this Suburban though. Removed rear wheels, put a rag soaked in WD-40 or your loosener of choice around the hub and went in the house for a few beers...Came back out after a few hours (overnight is good) removed rag and whacked drum carefully with a hammer. When reinstalling always put anti seize on the mating surfaces between the hub flange and the drum.:smile5:

steelydan, on a different note, what do you get for fuel mileage in your burb? What gears does it have?

About 19 average on the interstate and about 16 in town gears are 3:73. 4" exhaust no cat helped about 2-3 mpg, I have the crossover to change this weekend. (all US gallon as I only fill up down here)

About 19 average on the interstate and about 16 in town gears are 3:73. 4" exhaust no cat helped about 2-3 mpg, I have the crossover to change this weekend. (all US gallon as I only fill up down here)

Interesting... I get 15-16 no matter what I do. Even putting the 4" exhaust and Turbo-Master on, didnt help at all.

I am presuming at this point, it must be tired injectors....

Back