• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

98 k1500 6.5

jcool

#78 A(ACLU) FNG
Reaction score
what do you guys think of the half ton 6.5's? my father is looking at one priced at 3500. his primary use will be hauling his 5th wheel which was designed for half ton use..... and mpg's compared to a gasser....

Well my K3500 CC dually with 4.10s gets 15.5 MPG highway so it should get much better then mine MPG wise... What year, how many miles, ect?

i've got a 1/2 ton, 2 door yukon but same weight rating. high teens-mid 20's for fuel economy, 3.42 axle gears. love it. how heavy of a trailer is it? i'd recommend checking out the rear axle, the 10 bolt axles arent very strong with alot of towing.

It probably won't pull well stock, weight wise it may be towable by 6.5, but a 5th wheel camper has a lot of frontal area "sail area" drag resistance, you'll want to do some mods to get better grunt out of it, any idea what gears are in it, that makes a huge difference on mpg, I suspect 3:73s in it. better mpg than gasser pulling same load, mine after mods is only capable of pulling 18K gn trailer loaded with my backhoe, 12-14 mpg when doing that running 65 with GM-8 turbo, havent towed that load since installing ATT

That trucks been for sale for quite a while... 3500 isnt a bad price, with the saved money you could get a Heath HP4 and an A-Team Turbo along with a set of gauges and a 4 inch exhaust and if a 5.2 dodge gasser didnt have a problem, it would be a PLEASURE to drive with a modded 6.5!!

That trucks been for sale for quite a while... 3500 isnt a bad price, with the saved money you could get a Heath HP4 and an A-Team Turbo along with a set of gauges and a 4 inch exhaust and if a 5.2 dodge gasser didnt have a problem, it would be a PLEASURE to drive with a modded 6.5!!

thanks for the input! since your truck is the same... what kinda mileage you get outa it? How much are the mods that you listed? My dad is trying to stay under 6k. Is there anything we should look out for? thanks -Justin

where in maine are you? in about 10 months the wifie and child and i will be moving up near her parents in millinocket maine and i will go to northern maine community college.

Good for you, NMCC is about an hour from my house, I live in Fort Kent... which is as far north as you can go in the state. You'll become pretty familiar! :D Millinocket is a decent town, still struggling to keep their mill alive, but you'll have great access to some of the best woods in the state... I say some because it just isn't quite as good as WAY up north!! ;) If you ever need anything don't hesititate to contact me, I've got a decent flatbed trailer and know the whole state like the back of my hand, and I'm at school in Castine (mid coast) and I drive right past Millinocket every time I go home and come back.

As for the truck... A-Team Turbo: ~700 shipped
Heath HP4: $500
MKO 4 inch turbo back: $300 shipped (ebay)
Gauges: good full set plan on about $75-100

There are only minor differences between that truck and mine... Mine is a short bed, z-71, bench seat, but aside from that very similar.

Milage: I have pretty aggressive all-terains, running a little low on the PSI side (my laziness) and I see 17-18. I have seen up to 25, but that was only once, so I would say 17-20 is a fair range for these trucks... ALTHOUGH... with an A-Team turbo expect a 2-3 MPG increase, as Turbine Doc as documented quite well.

Good for you, NMCC is about an hour from my house, I live in Fort Kent... which is as far north as you can go in the state. You'll become pretty familiar! :D Millinocket is a decent town, still struggling to keep their mill alive, but you'll have great access to some of the best woods in the state... I say some because it just isn't quite as good as WAY up north!! ;) If you ever need anything don't hesititate to contact me, I've got a decent flatbed trailer and know the whole state like the back of my hand, and I'm at school in Castine (mid coast) and I drive right past Millinocket every time I go home and come back.

As for the truck... A-Team Turbo: ~700 shipped
Heath HP4: $500
MKO 4 inch turbo back: $300 shipped (ebay)
Gauges: good full set plan on about $75-100

There are only minor differences between that truck and mine... Mine is a short bed, z-71, bench seat, but aside from that very similar.

Milage: I have pretty aggressive all-terains, running a little low on the PSI side (my laziness) and I see 17-18. I have seen up to 25, but that was only once, so I would say 17-20 is a fair range for these trucks... ALTHOUGH... with an A-Team turbo expect a 2-3 MPG increase, as Turbine Doc as documented quite well.

awesome! we will definatly have to get together when we get up there! Thanks for the info im going to pass this on to my dad he will be glad to hear 20+mpg... ill keep this posted.

Back