• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

98 6.5 63000 miles

sonny

Reaction score
its a 98 with 63000 miles, was running fine then one day it kept dieing on me, i replaced the fuel pump and its been running fine until saturday, if i could get it to start it would die a few minutes later, i bought a crank position sensor and i have no idea where it goes.......HELP........im new to working on these engines......thanks

Attachments

• HPIM0188.jpg
    HPIM0188.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 5
  • HPIM0189.jpg
    HPIM0189.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 6
  • HPIM0190.jpg
    HPIM0190.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 6
Your symptons sure sound like a failed PMD/FSD(little black box mounted on the injection pump). VERY common issue with the electronic injected 6.5(you could say there achillies heel), and is best to be remote mounted away from engine heat to prevent future failures. Your crank sensor is in the timing cover down by the balancer, and can be a pain to change out as they can freeze into the cover.

And welcome to thetruckstop, looks like you've spent ALOT of time customizing your rig there.

Try a known to be good PMD before you waste time on anythiong else. If you do not have access to a known good PMD, buy a new set up with a heat sink and extension cable if you need the relocation kit as well. If you do not have a remote mounted PMD that should be the first thing you try/buy. It is a necessary mod on these vehicles
PMDcable.com is the place I buy mine.

Back