• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

97 Tahoe front diff swap

I've thought about that. I'm always a "what-ifer" though.....what if I need 4 wheel drive and I'm still mismatched? And if I make the change, it's going to be a while before I get the stuff to switch it back again, so I'll just deal with it in the meantime.

I really like the 3:42 gears and 265/75R16 tore combo on the 96 Suburban.

I wanted to do the same swap in the 95 Tahoe but - too many projects

IIRC our Tahoe has 4:10 gears. Now that I don't drive as much, it's losing importance

The idea of lower gears being faster is NOT always true. I run 3.42's in my burb, and I atribute alot of my acceleration to them. Many who race there diesels have also done the same with most in the duramax abandoning the 3.73's for 3.42's, and many picking up 1 to 3 tenths in the quarter. This doesn't hold true for all trucks, but many with diesels have proven it to work. So you may be pleasantly surprised with the performance of 3.42's vs 3.73's.

The idea of lower gears being faster is NOT always true. I run 3.42's in my burb, and I atribute alot of my acceleration to them. Many who race there diesels have also done the same with most in the duramax abandoning the 3.73's for 3.42's, and many picking up 1 to 3 tenths in the quarter. This doesn't hold true for all trucks, but many with diesels have proven it to work. So you may be pleasantly surprised with the performance of 3.42's vs 3.73's.
There's only one way to find out......

Back