• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

97 or 98 chevy died

searstractorfan

Reaction score
My buddy has I think its a 97, but it could be a 98 or newer, long bed, cab and a half dually..Anyways, its only got like 78,000 miles, and its an F vin he says...it ran REALLLLY good...up till about a week ago, they started cold and hooked it to a trailer, shut it off, and loaded the trailer, next morning went out to start it and move it, and it started, started to move and died...Now it wont start...Just replaced the lift pump cause it had no pressure(would run but no pressure)...Now all it does is still crank crank crank, no sputter or nothing...Any ideas? I told him to check the shut off solenoid, if that was working, then I said start looking into PMD issues, since its all stock...PMD is original, and in stock spot, as is the Turbo power cover...Only thing thats been replaced that they know of is the shut off solenoid was replaced once at about 28,000miles... So any ideas? their much appreciated! Ive used up all my 6.5 knowledge!

Nope hadnt thought to check any fuses, I had the old school mechanical IP's when I had the 6.5 so it was simple to fix!! hehe!!!! Now hes got troubles and i only know what I remember reading!!! Ill ask about dash lights and have him check the big fuses under the hood...

Print out the checklist in my signature and go through it with your buddy. The tests indicated will shed LOTS of light on what the problem might be.

Then come back here, copy the checklist into a new post and fill in the answers... somebody will be right along with some targeted suggestions. Right off the top of my head I could guess at about 50 different things, but I don't think you want to troubleshoot by replacing everything except the rad cap. :D

Hopefully he did not get air into the injection pump. It will make it hard to determine why it wont start. Might just need to crank it longer?? or could be PMD, grounds.....

Did you purge the air from the fuel filter? I have noticed the lift pumps can airlock themselves. May need to crack the #1 injector line to help get the air out.

Ok, he check for dash lights, and he has dash lights while cranking...(well nothing out of the normal)...Also fuses relays ect under the hood look perfect, and cleaned the grounds...grounds was the first thing I told him! He called Bill Heath at Heath diesel and Heath says with 99% sure that its the PMD... So they ordered a PMD setup from him..And yes they cracked the injector line loose on #1 to see if if would weep any fuel and no go...so Heath says PMD...Will find out in a day or so when she comes in and he gets it on!

Just sorted out a friends no sudden kill, crank, crank, crank no start issue.
With the key on and LP running happily we bled the air from the FFM (Lots of air).
Checked fuel pressure at the T-Valve and had 8psi so we cranked it up and it started after a about 5-6 seconds of cranking.
Pressure held.
Key off, pressure held.
Called Heath out of morbid curiosity to question if it was possibly an OPS issue (I've replaced his batteries, lift pump and alternator this past year so why not the OPS eh?). With the truck running we opened the bleeder valve on the FFM again and it continued to run without issue so that wasn't a possible culprit either. It was suggested the PMD may be starting to go only this one on the IP was not giving any kind of warning, just dead.
Swapped to a remote PMD (used SSD unit on his heat sink that I've had laying around) and discovered that the fuel line to IP inlet was weeping when nudged (mud wrestling with the PMD connection on the IP). Cut back a 1/4" of line and replaced with real hose clamp. No leaks/weeps there now either.
Runs great now.
Wish things would go that smooth for me when I'm tinkering on my own projects.

Ok, if the PMD doesnt fix his problem, next thing Ill take the intake all off and check that center fuel line...I thought they were metal factory going from filter housing to the IP? I could be wrong as my 93 someone had done a very bad rubber change over and i had to redo it all...Either way..thanks guys for the ideas so far!

The DS4 is a cake walk to change the fuel line! Remove the bolts on the FFM and move it back a little to access the outlet line and hose clamp. The inlet on a DS4 is on top of the pump. A little line snaking and you have a new IP fuel feed line. No intake removal required!

The DS4 is a cake walk to change the fuel line! Remove the bolts on the FFM and move it back a little to access the outlet line and hose clamp. The inlet on a DS4 is on top of the pump. A little line snaking and you have a new IP fuel feed line. No intake removal required!
Ditto and handy trick I use is tie a heavy string or wire to one end of the old line being removed, as you pull it out from under the intake, stirng/wire pulls thru with it and you have it to help snake in new hose under the intake, also a good time to consider the FTB mod, http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/sh...-Part-II-Improve-fuel-to-IP&p=44535#post44535

Welp it was what I figured, they were struck by a dead PMD.....My buddy ordered a Heath PMD and relocation kit and mounted it all up...Now she purrs like a kitten again!!!! Thanks for all your help guys!

Nice! Still have him do the checklist carefully; the items in there are great maintenance, and can help point out things that he needs to keep up.

Jim

Back