• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

97 No start.....

DEERE3594

I welcome everyone...not just Penguins!
Reaction score
Having weird issues with my 97 not starting..
some days it will start right up, other times you have to crank and crank...
Ive tried 3 glow plug controllers and just put in 8 brand new ACdelco 60g glow plugs AND changed all the female ends of the wires. Thought it would fire right up.. Nope. Just cranks and cranks and DUMPS white smoke. Any thoughts? Is there a way to bench test a glow plug controller?

if its' dumping white smoke then you've got fuel. Blown fusible link for the glow system perhaps? It sounds to me like your not getting power to your glowplugs. Does the GP controller do it's normal "Click" when you turn the key. Do you have a Wait to start light?

Do you have the anti-theft passlock system on your 97?

Im not sure what that means? How can I tell? :eek: It has keyless entry that is after market and the doors lock when you turn the key on. I hate it

if its' dumping white smoke then you've got fuel. Blown fusible link for the glow system perhaps? It sounds to me like your not getting power to your glowplugs. Does the GP controller do it's normal "Click" when you turn the key. Do you have a Wait to start light?

Always have a wait to start light, and I am getting power to the plugs (atleast the one I checked, guessing all of them?). I cant hear any click over the lift pump, but the volt meter jumps up like normal when the glow plug light goes off..

Justin remember the ground fix we did on the 94, you got to do the same thing on the 97, also IIRC the PMD for that one is still IP mounted correct ? Theft deterrent is a disable feature on 97+ years, if you swap PCMs to one different from truck it was in it will disable the fuel to the IP, but from my experience when that kicks in you get constant no start not intermittent, intermittent is gnds, PMD, or ignition switch, you got my number call me & we can go thru it.

Glows should be good wasn't that the one we did the physical glow test on? Yes you can test controller easily, it's constant hot 12v on input side heavy wire from batt, have somebody help you or make a long set of test leads to bring your meter into the cab and turn key to start you should see the 12v on output of the controller go 12 to 0 volts as glow command comes & goes, also you should hear the click of the relay/controller when this happens

Im not sure what that means? How can I tell? :eek: It has keyless entry that is after market and the doors lock when you turn the key on. I hate it

Usually with the passlock system, the fuel injection system is locked out and the engine is prevented from starting if the vehicle is hot wired or if the wrong key is used in the ignition.....try this; whenever it won't start, wait ten minutes with the ign. key on in the run position, then switch off, then resume normal starting... But usually in passlock mode, there's a flashing ses or theft light on dash. Sounds like a glowplug controller/ wiring issue though.

I changed the PMD, and added the grounds. ran out of light for the night.
Tim if I cant get it Ill gave ya a call tomorrow, thank you!

Back