• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

97 holiday rambler alumalite 32

THEFERMANATOR

FRANKENBURBAN
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
Went and picked up our new to us HOLIDAY RAMBLER 32 bumper pull trailer. It has a few spots in the floor that need some attention in the foreseeable future from where the skylight in the bathroom and a window leaked in some, but overall it was in good shape when I picked it up. PLUS it tows ALOT better than our old 25 foot HY-LINE did. I got a lot of funny looks running 75-80 on the way home with it(It doesn't take much to hit 75 in my BURB even towing, I have a slightly touchy throttle or heavy foot, one of the two). THEN MURPHYS law got me. I was super paranoid to make sure everything worked before I left as he was upfront there is no warranty on it because of it's age. So of course I was also REALLY paranoid about the fridge because RV gas absorption fridges are pricey to say the least. I looked it over REAL close and saw no yellow stains, and gave it the sniff test several times before I left. Made it home and the check light was on on the control board, so I open it up and the smell from the freezer about knocked me out. it would be my luck that the evap would go out on the way home. I found I can buy an aftermarket cooling unit for it for $425 after the core refund, so that is a lot better than $1200 for a new fridge. Just sucks that it went out as soon as I left. So I guess I will be updating my repairs here in the near future.

I heard on some of them its simply the control board

Sent from my Studio 5.0s using Tapatalk 2

The control board is known for making it not work or the check light to light up all the time. But the ammonia smell in the freezer is without a doubt the evap coil blown out. It stopped working at the same time the smell started. I knew about this problem and was paranoid as could be about checking for it, yet it got me on the way home. Just ordered the parts for it now. A reman cooling unit is costing me $525 + $49.50 shipping, but I get $100 back when they receive the core unit. I could have bought a new one for $635 + $45 shipping, but everything I could find said there remans were really good, and had the same 3 year warranty as a new one(OEM only comes with a 1 year warranty). And with the reputation of the DOMETIC control boards I went ahead and got a DINOSAUR brand for it for $98 coming with it, and for $17.50 I bought a fan set-up to go in the fridge. I didn't want to have to spend this much money on it right now, but we will be living in it here in 2 weeks for about 2 1/2 months so I need everything working right.

I must say this is one HEAVY SOB! I just went out and unhooked it from the truck, and when I dropped my weight distribution bars the back end of my BURB sank down over 3 inches. that's the first time I have ever had it down to the bottom leafs with my ROADMASTERS on it. that 3000 pound electric tongue jack groans lifting it up.

32 is an easy length, just the initial thought of it is what gets the pucker factor. That length has more exposure to high speed semi's, so need to keep just about as much attention to the mirrors as the windshield.

While doing the fridge exchange, consider looking into an external thermostatically controlled fan. Not sure if the HR's saw a need for them, but some of the Airstreams did.

And, nice looking rig :thumbsup:

32 is an easy length, just the initial thought of it is what gets the pucker factor. That length has more exposure to high speed semi's, so need to keep just about as much attention to the mirrors as the windshield.

While doing the fridge exchange, consider looking into an external thermostatically controlled fan. Not sure if the HR's saw a need for them, but some of the Airstreams did.

And, nice looking rig :thumbsup:
This one actually tows better than our last 25 footer did. It moves around when semis passed me, but it didn't whip like our 25 footer did. I do have to keep an eye on my speed though, caught myself running 85 on the way home with it. It is very smooth at speed, and you could say I have a slight surplus of power on tap towing. It doesn't have a fan on the condenser, and I don't plan on one unless it needs it. The fridge worked great when I picked it up with no smells, just bad luck that it went out like it did.

HR's have a nice weight to them, so the easy ride is not a surprise. (At the risk of insulting the expert . . .) I found that running the tires at their max cold rating helped all around and could actually feel the slight 'tugging' difference if I dropped them back to the manufacturer's psi recommendation.

External fridge fan is best for gnasty hot days when running only on LP. Did mine shortly after purchase as I wanted the extra 'punch' when I was on gas.

Always easy enough to install later if / when LPG gets expensive :hihi:

I imagine the shocks also help with the ride. Probably should replace them before I do al ong trip, but I was shocked when I crawled underneath and saw shocks on the axles.

That is a nice looking camper! :thumbsup:

Hope you get many years and lots of fun trips out camping in her. :agreed:

I imagine the shocks also help with the ride. Probably should replace them before I do al ong trip . . .

From that low ride, suspect you have torsion style axles which help lower the CG and get the better ride. Presuming the axles are torsion, the better focus is to make sure the axles are in good shape and focus on the shocks later.

Look around for the HR forum's and join one of the local owner's clubs.

From that low ride, suspect you have torsion style axles which help lower the CG and get the better ride. Presuming the axles are torsion, the better focus is to make sure the axles are in good shape and focus on the shocks later.

Look around for the HR forum's and join one of the local owner's clubs.
Nope, it's leaf springs with shocks on drop axles.

Nope, it's leaf springs with shocks on drop axles.

While most travel trailer don't use shocks, the ones that do seem to fair much better on the uneven pavement you will invariably hit if you tow any significant distance.

It's a nice feature that makes it easier on you belongings and cabinets in the trailer. I know there's been a couple times I wished my AL-KO IRS axles had 'em.

I think Monroe offers a kit for adding shocks to trailers that didn't have 'em OEM, but don't quote me on that one.

They are more common on Horse trailers it seems, for obvious reasons I guess....

YOU HAVE A VERY NICE TRAILER,Ihave a 1991 28 foot. Bought in 1993. Has been about the best money I spent. Have pulled it over 200,000 miles. Replaced one fridge, several sets of tires, and a few brakes. You have about the last year they made a good built trailer. Enjoy it !!!

Back