• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

96 lifted k1500

Welcome.
We need more info because afaik the abs can not trigger the brakes to lock up.
If you unplug the sensor the abs won’t work but normal braking will.

Things that cause a single wheel lock up usually involves contaminated brake pads, damaged shoe linkage like springs or pin,
Contaminant in the fluid line, damaged wheel cylinder.

Most times is what will cause wheel lockup is having one or two wheels on a slick surface and the rest of the wheels on a surface with good traction.
The wheels on tje slick surface locks up then the 4WAL system kicks in and the brake pedal starts to pulsate.
Never back off when You feel that in the pedal, instead, het on that pedal like You are taking it to the floor. That 4WAL system is a wonderful thing, until, all four weeelz locks up. Then the wheel sensors tells the brain child that the vehicle is totally stopped.
Thats when a person needs to realize what is happening and make the evasive maneuvers themselves.
Working for the Mt. DOT as a mechanic for 31 years, and, in the very very rare instance that there was a probelm with a 4WAL system, after repairing, or thinking we had it repaired, then I would take the units I worked on over to the yard where the asphalt mixing floor was, get a good run, 20 or 25 MPH, get one side of the vehicle so that the tires was off on the gravel or snow/ice then tromp that pedal like i was taking it to the floor, then it will tell You that the repair was a success and the vehicle could be returned to service.
When I would complete a level 2 PM service, I would always test the 4WAL system just to be sure that it was functioning. 4WAL is four wheel anti lock brake shstem.
Welcome to the forum RNP.

A total inspection of the brake system should be in order.
Damaged rotor, pads, drums or shoes could also cause a brake to lock up.
Calipers and cylinders too.
If there is any type of fluid leaking into the brake system, that too can cause the brake on one corner to lock up.
Remove the tire/wheel and inspect what You see.
Remove the caliper, does the pins freely slide within their bores.
If it is a brake drum, is there brake dust present in the drum.
Brake dust mixed with humidity can cause a brake to lock up.
Do a dismantle then report back please.
For some reason I read Your original post, then, must have blinked or some such and skipped into Will Ls post and thought that was You posting, why my long explanation of what could cause a wheel or two to lock up.
Please forgive me. 🤷‍♂️😹

@rednekprincezz Give us some more information on what is happening. what are you doing when it locks up? I assume this happens under normal stops. There could be a lot of causes of this, tell us in detail how it happens as well as leading up to it. how the road conditions are, how hard you have to press on the brake pedal. how does the front brakes feel, also how does your pedal feel.

Back