• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

96 K2500 4L80E no overdrive for only one day??

trouttrooper

Big Blocks ROCK!!!
Reaction score
So my project truck has been running fantastic these past several months since I bought it. Biggest "repair" I've had to do is replace the AC system. Works like brand new now, will freeze you out even in these 105 degree days.

So one day last week I took the truck for a drive and it wouldn't go into 4th. With the selector in 4th and I let off the gas the engine would drop down to idle as if it were in neutral. I would step on the gas, and it would rev right back up and act like nothing was wrong but would only be in 3rd gear (this was on the interstate doing 60 mph). If I manual shifted down to 3rd and let off the gas it would then "engine brake" in 3rd gear. Total trip was around 30 miles round trip with about a 3 hour break between legs. Not sure if this is related or not, but the AC quit working on the trip too, outside temp that day were around 102 degrees (I was not very happy....). Since then I have taken the truck on a handful of trips and it shifts perfectly fine through all gears, including 4th, every time. AC also is back to working like new. Makes it hard to diagnose a problem when everything works like it's supposed to.

Before, during, and after this debacle the transmission has shifted smooth and flawlessly into all gears, including in and out of park. I did a fluid change on it a couple months ago, old fluid looked good, no bad smells.

Did I just experience some kind of weird electrical glitch that day?
Any insight would be appreciated.

Could have been some sort of ground fault or possibly loos of power somewhere. with the AC not working durring that adventure, if very well could have been a loss of power. maybe a fuse in the box has a bad contact or early signs the ignition switch is getting sloppy and not sending all of the leads power that one time. I have seen where the switch linkage or the switch it's self gets sloppy and you just happened to have it in the right position to act up.

I'm guessing this is a gas powered truck? If so I would suspect either it detected a heavy misfire, but that should have caused a flashing check engine light, or your TPS was glitching on you. Either way you need a scanner on it when it's acting up to see what it is seeing.

Yes, the legendary vortec 5.7 :happy:. There's no misfire, no cel. This engine runs extremely well, doesn't even leak. It passed emissions test a few months ago with flying colors. I suspect the dairy farm this came from kept a good maintenance schedule on their equipment, because other than major sun fade on all the inside plastic, and general wear of parts like door hinges and seat cushion, this truck is in VERY good condition (almost makes me think it was some kind of supervisor truck with the complete lack of rust and dents). In fact, my Beast has more dents and scrapes in the bed than this truck.

TPS is cheap enough, I might throw a new one on just because. If this is an electrical issue of some kind, it is going to be a pain to trace since it's been running perfect ever since then. Plus, this isn't super high on my priority list now that it is working like it's suposed to

OBD II, might have tripped a code. An actual scanner that hooks to the ALDL outlet might have some history wrote to it.
Be worth it to get next to one of those old scanners and see what it might tell You.

Back