• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

96 chevy 5.0L k1500 4x4 w/8 inch lift

rednekprincezz

Reaction score
I've fixed just about everything except idk how to fix my steering. Turns about 3.5 turns to the right but only .5 to the left. also, my new tie rods are as tight as they go which i counted threads from the old one. but both tires seem to point outwards. also, my truck does this coughing thing when i try to start it. i have replaced the altinater . but i have a yellow cell battery with a normal battery and i still seem to lose a charge when it sits. not to mention I've replaced the tranny dip stick tube which no more problems with rubber garments any longer cause the new one didn't call for one. given i had to use a mini sludge to get it all the way in but knows tranny fluid comes out the dip stick holder tube. I'm about to plug it off at the pan and say screw it. I'm just a girl who replaced all the suspension and basically everything under the hood. trying to figure all this out on my own but i need help I've just about had it and I'm ready to throw in the towel. any advice?

Welcome to the forum @rednekprincezz it sounds like you have multiple issues going on here.
it would be wise to start with the most important ones first and work down the list till we can get everything back to operational condition.

If I understood correctly, you installed a new transmission dipstick tube and now it's leaking from where it attaches to the trans? your trans should be a 4L60E. there should be a grommet that goes in with the end of the tube. if I recall correctly, the grommet goes into the trans first which has a lip so it doesn't fall into the inside. then the metal tube will slide into the grommet. when new, it will be a tight fit. it will make it a little easier if you apply a little oil or grease on the grommet and end of the tube where it goes into the trans. having a helper will make the job go easier too. someone laying under the truck pushing and wiggling the tube into the trans, while someone up on top guiding it into place.

Once you have that part done, there should be a metal tab with a bolt hole in it on the side of the tube. this will use one of the trans bell housing bolts to secure the tube from coming back out.

Once you have this one taken care of, post back and we can work on getting the truck to start and run. we will work on the steering last. first lets fix the trans leaking and have the truck able to start and idle in your driveway.

Don’t give up. One problem at a time. Follow the advice from Doug in the above post. Having to hammer in the filler tube isn’t uncommon but can easily damage the new seal of no one is guiding it from below. Use a rubber mallet not a steel hammer so you don’t damage the filler tube.

When you run into problems, hollar asap so we can answer asap

Back