• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

96 6.5 turbo

96 6.5 turbo crusty

86 6.5 crusty
Reaction score
I have recently gotten a 96 6.5 turbo diesel looks like it came from up north it my first personaly owned diesel dually I'm looking to up grade a few things such as turbo injectors and intake system my truck has the f in the vin non egr still has the vacuum pump on it with a gm 5 turbo looks like it has a mass flow sensor on the intake along with another sensor that I'm not sure about

Welcome. Very best thing you can do is read the stickies. So much info there that will save you tons of time and money.

Turbo upgrade helps with a lot but depending what end goal and how you use it can alter things. Understand having everything work as whole instead of one or two changes expecting a lot.

Welcome! This is a good guide to get you started. I'd add to it by suggesting braided steel oil cooler lines, the crimped Rubber lines leak and burst turning a 6.5 into a boat anchor real quick

Attachments

• Mnx&Mods info_2.72 Part 1 of 2.pdf
    798.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Mnx&Mods info_2.72 Part 2 of 2.pdf
    973.2 KB · Views: 4
Nothing against you or your skills, but there is a ton of people here with tons of miles wrenching on these. No maf I can see.

get a clear line on the ip return line. 1/4” diameter about 5” long. Make sure no bubbles are flowing indicating air intrusion.

remove, clean, and reinstall all engine grounds. They will replicate faulty pmd.

get a pressure gauge on the fuel line before the ip and ensure pressure is good when it dies to know that is not the issue. A worn ip and inop lp will cause it too.

Ok so I just had to clean my tank out cuase this was in it and now my vacuum sensor went tits up I put a spring on waste gate temporarily when I hit a hill truck wont get over 35-40 but once I'm on flat land it'll get to 60 as I stated before this is my first personaly owned diesel so I'm a cherry to the 6.5L turbos my other truck is a 454tbi 1ton dually 20200315_194101.jpg

Darn. Better to know what’s happening though. If your not sure next step to take, it lease ask.

Looks like water from my phone. Drop the tank. Flush the lines. Use bug killer. run 10% heavier than normal stanandyne or whatever brand you use than normal for the next tank full on fuel treatment.

once together and running for a few minutes pay attention for individual cylinder or multiple cylinder misfires which could be injector damage. If you have say cylinder 1 misfire, swap #1& #3 injectors and see if misfire follows injector.

Back