• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

'96 5.7l/350 Upgrading from CS130 to CS144 alternator

Yes, the voltmeter is stable at 14V with all lights, radio and in reverse. I think this was the trouble the whole time, save for an overtorqued starter solenoid. I'm waiting on the wrecking yard to get the rear bracket but it's stable.

Here it is

23088d1507045652-motor-timing-180-out-p1060873.jpg

Thanks you guys. Once I get that rear bracket I'm planning on posting another how-to with photos for other newbies to modern truck like me.

Edit: The belt I used was a Gates 060966, the original belt was showing signs of wear and may have been a little short.

Last edited:
I definetely learned a lot from this thread. especially with the resistors and lights that play the part of a resistor and such.
Thank You Leo for sharing this experience.

I realize this is a bit late since I haven't been on here much for the past year. I did the CS130 to CS144 swap a couple years ago. Worked out great. It was a plug and play swap for me, electrically, and it was clocked the same as the old alt. Since my pickup was a 1994 my alt was on the drivers side, and I re-did the mounting brackets so I could use the stock belt.

Anyway, I love this CS144 alt.

Don

Good to know, thanks Don.
While the dang voltmeter was rock solid stable since October, in recent weeks I noticed it's on the move again. I've got an eye on a replacement Speedometer cluster at B&R, I may try one out to see if this is an insturmentation issue.

The voltage regulator in the alternator is temp sensitive to apply the proper voltage to charge the batteries. GM's design sucks in this regard as it doesn't have a temp sensor on the battery. Regardless you will get voltage swings due to temperature. The regulator/diode cooling fins clogged with dirt warming the temp sense up? Get a real voltmeter on the system and see what it's really doing before chasing the OEM gauge or system. Generally it's 13.5v - 14.5v depending on the temperature of the alternator - That difference is more than enough to move the gauge. More load on alternator that heats the regulator up the lower the output voltage assuming you have enough RPM and capacity in the alt for the load. Test the batteries and throw a charge on them to see if the gauge steadies out.

Last edited:
The ambient and motor temperatue have been stable in this truck, that being said for the last two days the Voltmeter is stable but will likely revert to it lower reading as it has even before I replaced that alternator with the brand new 144. I was looking at it and the connections and it's all very clean with no sign of debris. loose terminals or oxidation.

Since Dec.26 the voltmeter has regained it's stability. It seems it fails once every couple of weeks now (much less frequent than before) but I'm accustomed to the Chevy trucks I had in my youth ('76 & '78) where it was a given for the Voltmeter to be stable. This recent fail/stablity has been on long trips of 22 miles each day (fully warming the engine compartment) with abient temperatures of being from 21* up to 60* fahrenheit.

Back