• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

96 4l80e

Rob1389

Reaction score
I have a 1996 3500 dump truck non HD 5.7 2 wheel drive. It has lost reverse, everywhere I have called says it has to be replaced with a 1996 4l80e only. My father inlaw has one out of a 1998 3500 HD 7.4L 2 wheel drive it looks the same except the trans lines are in a different location and it has the brake on the tail (mine does not). Could it be used?

Last edited:
Yes, but only with several modifications. As has been said many, many times on here to answer inquiries like yours - with the 4L80E you are ALWAYS money ahead and better off reliability-wise having the one you have rebuilt, than you are trying to swap across 4L80E generations.

@Husker6.5 correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember the internal harness along with the valve body would need to be swapped out from the old '96 trans into the '98 trans. also since the tail housing is different, that will need to be swapped out also?

also the the torque converter would need to be verified to work in the older truck. if not a new one will be needed. DO NOT reuse the old one in the failed trans or risk another trans failure.

Yeah, and you just can't "swap" the output shaft and tailshaft housing - you have to completely disassemble the transmission and pull its internals to remove the output shaft from the inside, then do the same to the transmission that it would be going into to install it, as well as swapping the tailshaft housings! If you're doing that, you might as well just have the bad transmission rebuilt!

Where do you come up with $3-4K to rebuild a 4L80E?? Is a local transmission shop quoting you that number because they're bending you over without the benefit of a reach around, @Rob1389?

The cost of a rebuild to stock specs by a reputable transmission shop should be in the neighborhood of $1500-$2000 parts and labor included. And if you bring the tranny in so there's no R&R you can knock a couple of hours of labor off the bill.

I'm sure @WarWagon and @Will L. and possibly our transmission guru, @THEFERMANATOR, will be chiming in here shortly with how you just can't "swap" those two transmissions without LOTS of internal work (different internal wiring harness/external plug, output shaft and housing, you may need a new driveshaft due to different tailshaft lengths, etc.).

I appreciate it, I didn’t know. But yes I’ve been quoted up to $4k. I contacted some places today that were 2200-3500. That is dropping the trans off to them. I’ve contacted roughly 30 shops as of now a lot of them were around $2800 if I take it out and there no internal damage. I appreciate the answers thank you.

Where do you live, @Rob1389? Those prices still seem high compared to around here. The 4L80E is a pretty simple, easy and cheap transmission to work on compared to say an Allison behind a Duramax. These shops know this is a 4L80E, not just "a transmission behind a Chevy/GMC diesel"?

something else to consider, are they quoting you a reman trans taking yours in as a core? lots of so called transmission shops don't actually do the rebuilds and end up swapping in a reman. that is something you don't want to do unless the case is destroyed cracked or somesuch. getting a reman is taking the gamble that the innards are not for the 96 model which in turn might not last long. the best thing is for someone to rebuild "your" trans. even better having the clutches and parts upgraded for towing and hauling.

a good trans shop that rebuilds them in house will take the time to tear your's down inspecting things and be able to show and tell you exactly what failed and what caused it.

And again, @Rob1389, even at $100/hr labor, to actually tear down and rebuild your transmission with an OEM quality friction, steels, apply pistons, reverse band, gaskets, etc. kit and a reman torque converter will only set you back $1500-$2000. As @dbrannon79 suggested, it does sound like the price they're quoting you is for swapping your core for a reman, of unknown origins/quality, based on the prices you're being quoted. Go onto eBay and see what the prices of already remanufactured/rebuilt 4L80E's are - they're right in the ballpark of what you're being quoted. Find a local transmission REBUILDER shop, like what the gearheads and racers and truck builders use, NOT an AAMCO Transmission type of shop that basically just swaps in reman units. We have several shops here locally that are known for their on-site rebuilds of transmissions with 100K or even lifetime guarantees on their rebuilds depending on if you rebuild to OEM or HD/Extreme Duty.

And again, @Rob1389, even at $100/hr labor, to actually tear down and rebuild your transmission with an OEM quality friction, steels, apply pistons, reverse band, gaskets, etc. kit and a reman torque converter will only set you back $1500-$2000. As @dbrannon79 suggested, it does sound like the price they're quoting you is for swapping your core for a reman, of unknown origins/quality, based on the prices you're being quoted. Go onto eBay and see what the prices of already remanufactured/rebuilt 4L80E's are - they're right in the ballpark of what you're being quoted. Find a local transmission REBUILDER shop, like what the gearheads and racers and truck builders use, NOT an AAMCO Transmission type of shop that basically just swaps in reman units. We have several shops here locally that are known for their on-site rebuilds of transmissions with 100K or even lifetime guarantees on their rebuilds depending on if you rebuild to OEM or HD/Extreme Duty.
Yes the places I called I made sure to ask. Some were reman but they were around 3-3500. But I was quoted up to 4K for a rebuild. I only got one quote for under $2500 but they thought it was a 4l60 so it was up with the rest of the quotes when they found out it was a 4l80. I did just find a shop that quoted 2500 if I ilbring them the tranny.

We had the Trans for the 96 Suburban rebuilt.
I think it was about $3,000.
They removed it and installed it.

3 year, unlimited mileage guarantee

I’m no help, sorry. I fight my way through them. Have to have the books- well all data- for which parts to what- unless you are a dedicated transmission guy like Ferman with a rockstar memory. I won’t even do my own anymore.

Prices are up- inflation killin everything. You really have to shop around to find a low price and good skills for transmission work. And skills are more critical than price because that $100 you save today might cost you $500 come summer time.

The trick here was asking people at the racetrack then getting estimates from them dudes.

I was fortunate when the transmission in my 93 GMC K1500 failed over at Fernley Nevada. On my way to My brothers at Grass Valley California. My cousin at Sacramento Cali does a lot of car racing. He recommended the shop that is one of his sponsors. They rebuilt the 4L60E with all uprated components and that transmission had over 150,000 miles on it when I sold the truck with over 300,000 on it. 👍😹

Back