• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

95 K2500 Suburban -What size rear brakes???

njsteve

Reaction score
I have a '95 K2500 4x4 Suburban, 6.5 Diesel. 8600 gvw.

I've owned it since new. It has 99,000 miles on the original rear brakes. No problems thus far. But I figure it's about time to replace them. The drums are pretty well rusted on there and I'd like to buy the right shoes before we start hammering those drums off. The outer diameter of the drum, is around 16". I am wondering if these are the 13x2-1/2 or 13x3-1/2 brakes.

Is there a way to find out before we yank those drums off and find out I bought the wrong ones?

Will there be a specific RPO code on the glovebox sticker I should look for?
JD7 translates to "8400 lb. brakes"

Thanks!

Attachments

• rpo sticker2.jpg
    rpo sticker2.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
My 95 2500 has the wide rear shoes on it. You may be surprised when you get the drums off though. Mine had 160K on em the last time I had em off and they still had ALOT of meat left to em.

the backing plate will tell you the difference. the straight one is for the 2.5ini and the one with the recessed center is for the 3.5in.

Are these the recessed centers you're talking about?

Attachments

• backingplates.jpg
    backingplates.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 47
yep. those are the ones. your the lucky winner of the 3.5 wide brake pad contest.):h One other thing to note, be careful when you take the drums off, those suckers are heavy.:eek: what's with the second spring perch??

Thanks for the info.

I never noticed that second spring perch before!

Must have been those pesky GMC gremlins that installed them back in 1995. The rear has never been out of the truck. Hell, the drums have never been off either!

I can't say for sure on his Sub, but on my 1 ton it's for the bump stop (although it is not designed exactly like a perch). The only other thing I could think of would be for installation in a chassis cab, since their frame is narrower.

Back