• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

'95 Chevy Silverado 2500 w/6.5 T-Diesel; Std Trans; Air Dog pump; modified exhaust & ARE Intake filter

pmon

Reaction score
Have 10,000 miles on Rebuilt "quantum" 6.5L engine and passenger side battery went bad, then replaced. Will not crank tho' instrument lights (glow plug) comes on. 2nd battery is good & all fuses OK. Can hear pump and with clutch in still zip. Replaced starter & will replace PMD shortly. Is this electrical? Any suggestions... Thanks.

Welcome!

Please take time to fill out your signature for future reference for anyone reading and wanting to help you with your situation. List modifications, etc. to help with any sort of diagnosis online.

I'm curious - what is a "quantum" 6.5?

To me. Will not crank, means the engine is not turning over.

You have to properly describe what's going on

There's a big difference between will not turn over.
And the engine is rotating but not firing.

Even if it's turning over, it has to turn over fast enough to fire.

Seems a 6.5 has to have very good compression to fire when turning slowly

Welcome.
Can you use a flywheel turner and rotate engine? Make sure if engine itself or is one of the belt driven accessories isn’t seized.
Individually load test the batteries. Harbor freight has that descent one on sale for under $20 currently.

Use a jumper lead to the starter- bench test before buying a new one if needed, and definitely buy the Powermaster 9052 starter when the time comes & ensure the front brace is on.

Replaced the PMD and the clutch pedal safety switch and the new starter just makes a "clicking" noise. I am baffled as to why the starter will not fully engage. Help.

I’m trying to.

You have a couple options:

Remove starter and bench test it.

Rotate engine by hand to ensure there is no abnormal restrictions.
Bench testing doesn't always work. Sometimes it will spin on the bench but still not work.

At some point I try to load test at the business ends of the cables

Welcome to the forum.
When it clicks ?
Is this one solid sounding CLICK ? Each time they key is twisted to the start position ?
Or, is this a weaker sounding series of clicks ? Like in click click click click for as long as the switch is held to the start position.

Back