• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

95 6.5 Turbo vs. 96 6.5 Turbo

07HDClassic

Reaction score
I have a friend with a 1996 6.5 in a 3500 who found a replacement turbo off of a 1995 2500 Suburban. From what I have found, a 95 turbo is different that a 96 turbo. Is it possible to make the 95 turbo work on the 96 truck?

If their is a difference, it would be in the direction that the wastegate shaft operates. A TurboMaster from Heath Diesel would fix the newer on to work in place of the other.

Good luck.

Sorry, I'm not quite up to speed on the 6.5's yet.... So, if the 96 truck has a vac system it just plugs in and the 95 turbo will work. Or he can get a TurboMaster for it too work.

buddy, is there a way to determine if a turbo is usable simply by the play in the impeller? I got a GM8 from a guy. He said it's off a running truck. It looks as good as a turbo can look. It has virtually no play in the impeller.

So, do I take it to a shop to have tested, or just install it and test it myself?

Back