• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

95 6.5 fuel filter change how to?

With the plstic cap style filter? The steel topped filters I've used had good bleeders.

Do you put a piece of clear tubing on the bleeder and run it to a container?

Yes, with the new plastic style cap. No hose needed. I just bled the air all out and when fuel hit the top, it started to come out of the opening, so I closed it up. Ran the pump one more time and slowly loosened the bleeder and no air, so I took a rag and wiped the fuel off the outside of the top of the filter and I was done. I didn't run out enough fuel to even get my rag wet - just a little damp in a few spots.

Yes, with the new plastic style cap. No hose needed. I just bled the air all out and when fuel hit the top, it started to come out of the opening, so I closed it up. Ran the pump one more time and slowly loosened the bleeder and no air, so I took a rag and wiped the fuel off the outside of the top of the filter and I was done. I didn't run out enough fuel to even get my rag wet - just a little damp in a few spots.

I used to always put a piece of tubing from the bleeder to a container and run fuel til I saw no air bubbles. A lot of the plastic topped filters bled out around the bleeder instead of through it. The Baldwins didn't even have a hole through the bleeder. It was gauranteed they wouldn't work properly. I do not like to purposely make a mess that I have to clean up or live with. You never get it all wiped up, even with some well placed rags. Some of the fuel gets down in the intake.

The bleeder on top of a lot of these filters does not work. On the old style filters I would put a clear plastic line running to a container, jump the G pin or hot wire direct to the lift pump and bleed the filter to the container. After I had run a quart or so out the drain.

When I pull the filter I use an electric fuel pump or old lift pump to suction out the housing. If there is still some crud I use some Sea Foam to clean it up and then suck it out again. I like to start out as clean as possible.

Sucking the fuel out also lessens the risk of getting something inside the filter while installing it.
Yes my new wix won't bleed! What to do...

You need to check if there is a hole on the filter below the bleed valve to create flow from filter to valve?
I heard some of the new filter does not have that hole so the bleed valve is just a decoration. LOL.

Last edited:
You need to check if there is a hole on the filter below the bleed valve to create flow from filter to valve?
I heard some of the new filter does not have that hole so the bleed valve is just a decoration. LOL.
I posted up about Baldwin filters lacking the hole many years ago. It was a long time and quite a few phone calls and emails before they admitted it.

I spoke to wix. They said that they have no complaints about it.

Did you inspect if that is the case in your filter?
If that is the case in your filter, you may want to document it and send it to them.
Of course, you can always return the defective one and get something else not the same brand.
Check it before you pay.

Of course, a company never said there is any complain about it. LOL.
Even if there is, what are the chances they document it.
All the people who are there are just workers, not the owner.
Unless, they are paid to document, they will not do anything and just said "never have anybody complain".

I'm on my third. Fixed truck. Clogged filter produces suction leaks... Fram...no o ring, store brand... O ring too small. Finally but new problem.lol Id rather try and poke a hole in it. Anybody do??

I think poking/drilling a hole probably will work. You can be the first.
If it does not, you can always return it again. LOL.
If it works, then everybody can do the same.

Back