• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

94 k3500 fuel tank issues

300stw

Reaction score
i have a 94 k3500 crew cab long bed, it has the 34 gallon tank in it

when i fill the tank completely up and drive till it runs out of fuel, it took 23 gallons to fill the tank,

what might cause this, i would like to be able to use all the 34 gallons if need be

Factory tank and pickup assembly? Some fuel is left in the bottom of the tank - and can take adding up to 6 gal to re-start the engine on a hill.

I suspect you have an air leak somewhere like the pickup assembly and when fuel gets low it is sucking so much air you are running out.

I would test the lift pump and verify it's operation with the engine running before getting too crazy.

What exactly do you mean by out of fuel? Did your engine die and you had to ad fuel and bleed the injectors
To get it restarted? Or did the gauge go all the way to empty,a little past the 'e' so you had to refill? The fuel sending units are notoriously way off.

the engine died it ran out of fuel, the fuel pressure gauge went to o, i pushed it to the station and filled it up it took 23 gallons, had to jump the fuel pump relay and reprime the system, fired right up ,
the tank doesnt appear its ever been out of the truck, its the long tank for 34 gallons not the shorter one, i havent pulled the tank to look and the pick up tube,
my pressure gauge reads 2 or 3 lbs cruising and under hard acceleration it goes to 0, the gauge has the dial where it can show a vaccum, it never goes below zero into the vaccum side of the range

Improper fuel pickup length or pickup tube rusted through somewhere between pickup and tank top, canted vehicle front or back so tank is not level, or?

What did the fuel level gauge read when it happened?

Drain the tank to that point then go underneath and give her a couple smacks to hear if the tank is actually empty. If it still has liquid, and it did when it ran dry- then the pickup tube has a hole, or the sock is plugging up. Drop the tank IMO.

Sounds like it fired off to quick after your refuel. Could it have been a PMD killed the engine? You should have had to almost run the batteries dead getting her started again.

Just saw your sig. This was on your 94? I see you have a DB2 :thumbsup: Did the same on my 96. Anyway DB2 seems to start easier and would kill my PMD theory.

Back