• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

93 chevy k3500 cummins swap

I'm running my 6.5 tach off a 180amp Delco 22si alternator on my cummins, the tricky part is finding the right pulley. IIRC, I used a 54mm alternator pulley with the 94 5.9 cummins crank pulley, you might want to double check my math.

Your dodge/cummins or any common alternator should work, you just need the a/c signal off of one of the stator legs, I believe this is the "R" terminal on some internal regulated alternators. You or your alternator shop may have to add a post/wire if yours doesn't already.

We use an isspro unit that uses 4 magnets attached to the cummins dampener an then has a wire that attaches to a 5 volts feed an then attaches to the white wire that is the tach feed for the dash . To me this is the simplest an easiest to do . No guess work involved .

That sound pretty easy the 350 coming out has a crank postion sensor with three wires going to it, I haven t got the gasser out yet but hope to in the next couple weeks.

midnightplowboy, did your battery light come on when running the tach off the 22 si alt, i got mine hooked up and the tach works butt the battery light is on know.

Batt light works fine, I dont know how the light works on these trucks though. Are all the rest of your gauges/lights working on your dash correctly. While I had a ground wire loose under the dash when doing the pedal/column swap and it made my gauges do some funny stuff, but cant remember if the batt light was on, think it was a big ground(12awg) beside the OBDI connector.

You have your tach wire(white, IIRC) to the "R" terminal correct?

ok got it figured out had to remove brown wire its not needed, tach and all other gauges work properly, thanks for the post midnightplowboy that saved me some money from haven to buy an aftermarket controller.

My 6.5 had two wires on the alternator plug, white and brown, how many did yours have? IIRC, the brown wire should be hot with key on, I have that wire hooked to the "I" stud on the alternator.

What size of pulley are you running? I have not verified my 54mm pulley with my timing light yet to see how close the tach is, but it seems pretty close.

it was a two wire plug i left the brown wire unhooked and connected the white wire to the r terminal, now the tach works great and no batt light. the cummins engine was out of a box truck and the alt setup was all ready on it so i dont know what size the pully is, iam running it the same way it was in the truck with the wider belt and the ac compresor on top of the motor. they probly had the tach in the box truck ran the same way.

How would the power of a 4bt cummins be compared to a stock 6.5l turbo diesel engine. like torque, which one would do better towing etc...

How would the power of a 4bt cummins be compared to a stock 6.5l turbo diesel engine. like torque, which one would do better towing etc...

Well ...the Cummins will definitely have more torque. Horsepower is limited only by one's pocketbook. The Cummins will comfortably do 100 HP per cylinder.

The 4bt Cummins or 4bd Isuzu are both capable of much more tq/hp, but be prepaired for alot more vibration at idle. I found a sweet spot on my Isuzu while in gear at idle where its not bad, but the mirrors still shake. As soon as your off idle though its all worth it.

The 4bt and the 6.5 don't really compare. My last crappy dyno run made 360hp, and 680tq. Poorly tuned, and all sorts of wrong going on, and it still woulda beat the pants off a good running 6.5

See if my video works... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs_Cqqx75Ls

Perceived engine vibration can be diminished greatly with proper engine mounts. Engine noise can be greatly diminished by proper tuned injection pump.

Well if i can find a 4bt maby i will go that route instead of a 6bt since it should be an easyer install i want a engine that can pull a heavy load and fast

Either Cummins is the way to go 4bt or 6bt these engines are built to last and hold up they can make good horse power and torque, how heavy of a trailer are you pulling?

how hard do yall thank it would be to do in a 93 chevy 3500 2wd.. im about tired of workin on my 6.5. ima chevy man but love the sound of the cummins n the tq/hp so ima do a swap and where is a kinda cheap place to buy the motor mounts? how much rewierin is there in this swap?

It will almost install itself on a 2wd. A 12valve need starter and FSO for wiring. I have a 12 valve and adaptor to chevy trans Im going to be listing soon for sale.

Selling for $2500. Complete 12 valve from 96 Dodge truck and complete adaptor to mate to Chevy trans. If I have to crate/pallet it and take to a terminal it will be more.
I bought it with the intention of totally rebuilding it as I do not know its condition. It may be perfect or need rings....ect I dont know. Basically selling for core value anyway.

Back