• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

93 chevy k3500 cummins swap

bigchevy89

Reaction score
just wanted to share some pic of my 93 k3500 cummins swap. sorry for the poor quality pic ill try to get some better ones up later.

Attachments

• untitled 14.png
    untitled 14.png
    31.1 KB · Views: 215
  • untitled.png
    untitled.png
    28.3 KB · Views: 209
  • untitled 15.png
    untitled 15.png
    25.4 KB · Views: 199
  • untitled 13.png
    untitled 13.png
    28.9 KB · Views: 202
  • untitled 9.png
    untitled 9.png
    24.2 KB · Views: 206
  • untitled 8.png
    untitled 8.png
    23.6 KB · Views: 202
  • untitled 6.png
    untitled 6.png
    28.2 KB · Views: 203
  • untitled 12.png
    untitled 12.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 202
  • untitled 11.png
    untitled 11.png
    47.3 KB · Views: 202
  • untitled 2.png
    untitled 2.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 203
  • untitled 4.png
    untitled 4.png
    33 KB · Views: 200
  • untitled 5.png
    untitled 5.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 203
nice.
how many miles since swap?
was body lift/torsion crank for fitment or would it work without?
do you see a prob with fitting one into a 2wd?
bearings holding up?
mods to engine?
any issues with cooling?
4l80 trans, correct? how much/where did you get adapter?

thanks about 3000 miles on swap, had the body lift before swap imo made it much easier, also droped the front diff 2'' and had to modify oil pan, it would be a lot easier with a sas. dont no about 2wd there would probly be more clearnce. torsion bars are maxed out i check the bearings and ball joints about every two weeks still look good holding up well, no issues with cooling running dual electric pushers never even makes it past 200 even on the hotest of days. it is the stock 4l80e with adapter from patc transmissions it was 1200.00 with flywheel, you also have to purchase a starter from a 6.0 ford diesel all of the aftermarket adapters call for that starter mods to the engine just some pump and kdp work for know intercooler and injectors soon, also you will need a torque converter with a lower stall for best benefits iam iam waiting on mine now.

Very nice! Which torque converter did you get? We put an older ,88 cummins into a 3/4 ton suburban an we rebuilt the 4l80e an used the patc adapter an their 1200 stall tripple disk converter. That thing is awesome to drive! The low stall converter really helped out a lot! The suburban was a 98 so we had the nice electronics to program!

i havent ordered it yet but iam looking at a 1200 stall billet from a local shop. that is good to here that the 1200stall works well. how many miles is on your burban swap?

It was for a customer/friend . It only has about 5-600 miles on it . The engine was a hi mileage unit an it had sat for 12 years with biodiesel in it an the customer swore it didn't need injectors cuz it ran wen he parked the engine.... now it needs a piston and a set of injectors! Now it just sits:rolleyes5: An somehow it's all my fault ... pisses me off cuz this is one sweet ride! Pulls a trailer awesome like an rides very nice because of the extra weight up front!

Cummins in a 2wd will almost install itself!
I did mine in a 4x4 also, NO LIFT, but oil pan mod and diff lowered. Have a post in here somewhere if you want some pics of it.
Im also selling the OptiShift controller for the 4L80E. It will be on the web site soon.

Cool project Im working on a 97 suburban 10" lift and a dana 60 sas swap amd a 04 14 ff rear axle with disc brakes Ive got the cummins on the engine stand its getting a new head gasket and lower end gaskets and if i can aford it the 200hp-200lbs ft kit that Diesel Power Mag did an article on any advice or helpful sugestions? thanks

thats sounds like a nice one, i would make sure you take care of the kdp in the front cover while your engine is out, the biggest issue that i had was rad clearance because i built my own motor mounts because i wanted the drive train to stay in ts stock location. if your gonna use the stock trany have a torque converter made before you install your engine cause you wont be happy with the stock one. iam gettin ready to order one soon wish i had done it during the swap.

............. have a torque converter made before you install your engine cause you wont be happy with the stock one.............

is it because of the stall speed/cruise rpm? with my GV set up, i hit 2000 rpm at 70 mph.

its the stall speed even with the low stall 6.5 converter it still not right iam goin with a 1100 or 1200 stall, od lock up is fine cruising but pickin up speed and low speed drivin sucks.

No automatic I dont beleive an automatic should be behind a diesel engine unless it s an Allison Im going Nv4500 and divorce mount NP 205 t case, I have another question for you how did you run the tach on your truck ?? Oh and how can i make my pictures smaller so I can post them I tried putting them in a zipp file and loading them that way but it didnt work.

As far as photos you have to resize them in a photo editing software. Atleast thats what I do.

I cant remember what I did for the tach signal on mine,but I did have it working. I'll post when I remember.

......... how can i make my pictures smaller so I can post them I tried putting them in a zipp file and loading them that way but it didnt work.
you can also post them one at a time, then edit and add another, one at a time. i like to use photobucket. works great for me.

it doesent work yet but iam looking into an adaptetr from dakota gauges i think its called ds-2 it counts the fly wheel teeth. i think it will work with the factory tach. there is not much info on this out there. i have a pick up with 4 magnets on the balancer to drive the tcm but it would not work on the tach. it is a diffrent type of signal.

Ok I ll work on getting the photos posted, Ive read of people using an alternator off of a 6.5 diesel and running the tach off the back of that anyone know if it really works??

Ok I ll work on getting the photos posted, Ive read of people using an alternator off of a 6.5 diesel and running the tach off the back of that anyone know if it really works??

That is how the tac works on our trucks. You just need the correct size pulley.

I do not see why it would not work on other motors.

There is an easier way to get a working tach. It's called Tiny Tach. It is a digital tach that reads pulses from an injector line. the unit is 1.5 inches high by 3 inches long. You can see it at tinytach(dot)com, here's some info on it.

I have one on my pickup and it is more accurate than the tach in the dash.

Don

Diesel Tiny-Tach™

Lighted Display.
Engine RPM to 19,990.
Flash memory replaces internal battery.
Correct reading regardless of the number of cylinders.
Displays RPM when engine is running.
Automatically displays run-time hours when engine is shut off (and power is still on).
A low cost method of keeping track of engine performance.
Standard wire length is 8 feet.
Accurate means of setting exact engine RPM for proper operation of diesel engines.
Requires vehicle power.
Has job timer and 2 service timers.
One year warranty. Click here for warranty information.

Back