• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

93 and older question.

jbsaxman

Reaction score
So I am going to be doing a manual IP conversion on my truck. Since my rig has a manual transmission, as far as I know, when I ditch the DS4 I long longer really have a need for the ECM, so I was considering rewiring my truck to do away with the ECM all together.

The only question I have is the GP timing. I am assuming that the GP timing in the 94 and later trucks is controlled by the ECM. Is this correct?

If so, how is the timing of the GP relay controlled on the older rigs?

The glow plugs on the mechanical IP trucks are controlled by a glow plug controller that is mounted next to the fuel filter, here in Canada it costs around 60$ but in the US it wouldn't surprise me if it was just 30$. The controler may recieve a input from one of the temp sensors in the head or crossover don't remember for sure off hand.

On my '93 the temp sensor/switch in the crossover feeds the input for the glows and ip cold advance. If you want a wiring diagram, i can see what my FSM says. Let me know.
Don

On my '93 the temp sensor/switch in the crossover feeds the input for the glows and ip cold advance. If you want a wiring diagram, i can see what my FSM says. Let me know.
Don

If you wouldn't mind, that would be awesome. Right now all I have is the IP. I don't have anything I need to get it installed, like brackets or additional wiring or anything like that.

See if these will help. You got the injector lines for the IP too. They are different.

Attachments

• 93 start wiring.pdf
    24.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 93 charge wiring.pdf
    22.7 KB · Views: 8
Thanks, Schwind. I haven't gotten injector lines yet. I will probably order some from SS since they seem to be the only place that has them new. I don't think I can get them from the stealer anymore.

BTW - thanks for the charge wiring diagram. That's not how my truck is currently setup, but I was planning to change it to something very similar to that.

You'll also need the engine throttle cable bracket, the throttle cable and the cable pedal assy as the '94 and later is different. I might have an extra throttle cable bracket, i think there's one in my 6.5 spare parts box. I'm in the process of converting an '06 military IP from 24v to 12v operation to replace the tired 4911 i have now on my 3500 and i've aquired several spare parts. :D I'll look this weekend when i get home for the bracket. I think the pedal assy is the same on the '93 gassers, i've also got a '93 1500 with the 350 TBI. I'll compare those this weekend as well and let you know. Might be easier to find that setup as the mechanical IP 6.5's are getting scarce in my neck of the woods.

Don

The glow plugs on the mechanical IP trucks are controlled by a glow plug controller that is mounted next to the fuel filter, here in Canada it costs around 60$ but in the US it wouldn't surprise me if it was just 30$. The controler may recieve a input from one of the temp sensors in the head or crossover don't remember for sure off hand.

I paid around $110.00 from NAPA.....so, I guess on this one we're higher than yall are..:sad:

Temp sensor on the crossover is where it gets it's input.

The easy workaround is to just install a manual GP switch in the cab.

Smitty

The HMMWV throttle bracket has a 7/16" slotted hole for a threaded cable. The trucks used a square hole the cable snapped into. It could be made to work though with a welder and die grinder. Check with the 6.2 guys, theirs might work.

The coolant temp switch only controls the IP advance and high idle.

Daustin, I've got the same IP, I'm pretty sure. I need to convert it to 12v. I'll just take it in to a shop and have them do it. I hear if you don't do it just right, you'll screw yourself over.

As for everything else and all of the information, ya'll rock.

I might do a manual GP controller in my cab, but I'd like to be able to have it run for a set amount of time without having to hold a button. Plus, if/when I put in the remote start system, I'll need a way to control the GP timing.

I could be wrong but i thought the timing of the glows is set by the ecm.The ecm turns the gp controller on. The temp switch on the crossover only enables the system. The temp sensor on the rear of the passenger head turns the advance and high idle off or on. I say this because the sensor on the head went bad on my 91 6.2 and it turned the advance on. Loud knocking but no kaboom.

I could be wrong but i thought the timing of the glows is set by the ecm.The ecm turns the gp controller on. The temp switch on the crossover only enables the system. The temp sensor on the rear of the passenger head turns the advance and high idle off or on. I say this because the sensor on the head went bad on my 91 6.2 and it turned the advance on. Loud knocking but no kaboom.

I think that's correct from what i remember when my temp sensor in the crossover was bad. If you wire it straight up to the temp sensor, the glows would be on solid until the engine temp was above like 87 deg F. You'll need the ECM for the gauges as well i think. Without that the VSS, tach..etc won't get processed.
Don

The ECM on the '93 controls the lift pump, glow plugs, and auto tranny. It also monitors the tranny VSS and feeds the speedo, and i think the tach. The manual tranny's have a different ECM program than the auto's.
Don

Its funny my 92 has no ECM, but the glow plugs and lift pump work. See post #8 of this thread, glow plug controller diagram.

The 94 dash cluster will work fine. The DRAC/VSSB(programmed for rearend gear) splits the TOSS output from the trans to the speedometer, cruise control module(pre 93) and TCM(auto equipped 91-93)/PCM(94up). Pull the 94's PCM, all your guages should still work, just not the service engine and throttle light, the glow plug light will still work.

The tach is fed from the alternator, pulley size is important when replacing.

Your truck is an easy DB2 swap, being a 5sp, only thing hard(well not really) is if you want your cruise control to work.

Back