• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

88GMCtruck's 98 Silverado Towpig Build: "Black Fox"

Finally got around to the tune up it's been needing.

Pulled the "Vortec" silencer box off, found this little gem unhooked. YAY vacuum leak!
IMAG1990.jpg

Intake off
IMAG1992.jpg

IMAG1993.jpg

IMAG1995.jpg

IMAG1997.jpg

IMAG1999.jpg

Injectors out.
IMAG2000.jpg

At some point someone had been in here before. #7 injector clip was broken. Me being me, I dug around through the wiring toolbox and happened to have a proper connector that even had #7 on it. :lol: Quick unpin and swap the plug out.
IMAG2001.jpg

IMAG2002.jpg

Injectors out of the rail
IMAG2003.jpg

Original Rochester injectors VS Bosch
IMAG2004.jpg

IMAG2009.jpg

New injectors in! Also did the fuel pressure regulator and fuel filter.
IMAG2010.jpg

IMAG2011.jpg

IMAG2012.jpg

Ignition components... I think it was time for them to be replaced too.
IMAG2014.jpg

IMAG2015.jpg

IMAG2016.jpg

It idles SO much smoother now and it seems to have a bit more get-up and go. BUT, it still has the hard warm start issue... I don't know what the deal is with that. The fuel pump is noisy, It's next on the list of replacement items. Maybe it's part of the issue?

And, a taste of what is to come....
IMAG2048.jpg

Those plugs were BAD!! Wow, I'm surprised it ran hardly at all. I'd bet your mileage goes way up.

Excited to see the new face!

Interesting on your warm starting issues, could be fuel pump. Is there an easy way to test fuel pressure?

Yeah fuel pump is suspect for sure. I need to borrow a gauge but there is a test port on the fuel rail.

Sent from my TBI 454 powered android device.

Always very thorough on your projects Dave. Looks like the rotor's been toasty for some time.

Sent from my SCH-I535

PMD bad?

Ive never seen the injector layout. Had a pic in my mind though. Is it the same on a 350 to? My interest is for propane conversions.

PMD bad?

Ive never seen the injector layout. Had a pic in my mind though. Is it the same on a 350 to? My interest is for propane conversions.
:lol: there are no PMDs to speak of (thank god).

That is 96+ 454 injector MPFI. the 350s are entirely different, they use a pop-it spider injector although there are upgrades from GM that replaces the pop-its with regular MPFI.

Leroy, the local propane shop says 96-99 Vortec 350s are a royal pain on prop. Would be interesting to see what YOU could come up with.

Source Unknown

Just to show what I've been up to otherwise... New face for the truck...

IMAG2060.jpg

Is it plastidip?

What harness mods are needed for this swap? My 93 needs new lights and grill, this would match the rugged look of the truck or a 89 double lense swap.

Source Unknown

I am loving the classed up work truck grille. I love the single beam headlights that come with the WT grille, mostly because glass doesnt yellow. :) secondly, if the factory intake is left alone, the sealed beam grille looks like it has a sort of built it ram air for the OEM snorkel behind the headlight too.

tanner, I think, but am not sure, that the core support takes both styles, so a new or modded wiring harness for the single, and the grille and headlight buckets are all that need changed IIRC.

Is it plastidip?

What harness mods are needed for this swap? My 93 needs new lights and grill, this would match the rugged look of the truck or a 89 double lense swap.

Source Unknown
It is plastidip. Only modifications to the harness is abandoning the 194 corner marker light and converting the 9005/9006 sockets to an H4.

I am loving the classed up work truck grille. I love the single beam headlights that come with the WT grille, mostly because glass doesnt yellow. :) secondly, if the factory intake is left alone, the sealed beam grille looks like it has a sort of built it ram air for the OEM snorkel behind the headlight too.

tanner, I think, but am not sure, that the core support takes both styles, so a new or modded wiring harness for the single, and the grille and headlight buckets are all that need changed IIRC.
Core supports are the same thankfully.

Nice job on the grille re paint. Should make a nice change to the front end.
Thanks!

Never been a huge W/T grille fan, but hey, it's not my truck. Easy enough to change if you want anyways.

Yeah I've been undecided on which grille other than gmc. Luckily I could swap back easily enough with this truck.

Finally got a little time to make an adapter harness for the headlights and swap the grille over. It's different for sure. Not quite sure if i'll keep it or not...

IMAG2079.jpg

IMAG2072.jpg

IMAG2067.jpg

IMAG2069.jpg

I have a few other ideas too - I want to smoke the parking lights as well, add LEDs to the reflectors, and swap the headlights out for something better.

I still might go with the deluxe GMC grille though.

Back