• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

87 land yacht, long term project

Little more progress over the past few days. Modified the 4" exhaust down pipe for enough clearance with the bellhousing, looks like plenty of room now.

Have the fuel tank set into place, bending some 1/8" strap steel to secure it into place. 2 1 1/4" straps on the bottom and 2 more on top, should secure it nicely. Leaned the tank slightly forward and to the passenger side, figured it would give me a known low spot to run the fuel pickup hose to (not running an in tank sock).

Thanks guys. Yes the tank is for a 80's suburban, holds about 40 gallons. Was looking at fuel cells holding 25+ gallons and for the price couldn't beat the suburban tank. Has a fairly low profile keeping it out of the way getting hit. Hoping to have the bed on in a few weeks and hopefully fired up by the end of the week

Thanks, bought it a few weeks ago from War Wagon. Will be installing a nicktane fuel filter setup and a pre-filter. Additional oil coolers and a 4" exhaust should cover it. Been getting 15-19mpg so far out of it and have put just under 2k miles on it

Yeah, I remember the deal. I wish I could get a little truck like that. I'll have to stick with 6.5s for now and maybe a 6.0 gasser.

Source Unknown

It's a good truck, right now it's filling the dd role mostly.

Little delayed on the initial start up. Don't have a commercial Izuzu dealer out here so having to order parts, and this engine has a bit of an oddball sized filter. Figure I'll go ahead and make the oil filter relocation bracket and convert it over to a more common CAT filter as well. Want to kind of standardize my filters between the 2 trucks so I can order a case of filters for both trucks and be good to go.

Got the dash primed and installed over the week

With the fuel tank now installed figured I'd go ahead and get the major work to the flatbed out of the way. Cut the bed at 6' long

Then last night before work got started installing the bed

This project has made zero headway in the last 6 months, not good lol.

Tossing around the idea of selling it. I don't have much time off and when I am off work I'd rather be away from Midland, not here working on the project.

This project has made zero headway in the last 6 months, not good lol.

Tossing around the idea of selling it. I don't have much time off and when I am off work I'd rather be away from Midland, not here working on the project.

Sucks to hear. Was really hoping to see a finished outcome. Best of luck whichever route you take.

Agreed it's a cool project, I just don't have any time for working on it at all. Posted it up for sale locally last night and have gotten a few offers that seem pretty reasonable.

Agreed it's a cool project, I just don't have any time for working on it at all. Posted it up for sale locally last night and have gotten a few offers that seem pretty reasonable.

Whoever buys it, have them sign up here and continue on with the build thread! ;) Recruit a new member. :D :thumbsup:

Looks like there is still hope for this project, will get changed though. Managed to sell off the 2 dirtbike projects and the 67 c10 project. Plus, the new job pays better and I will actually have some free time (less stress to).

Part of why I've been debating selling it is 1. Lack of time and energy to work on it and 2. No longer suited my exact needs. I had been building it as a truck to be highway capable, able to tow, and offroad well.

Since the 05 duramax covers the tow rig and daily driver aspect, a offroad toy that I can beat the hell out of on the rocks and exploration becomes the primary goal. The ability to get the vehicle inside my garage is also important, means the truck will have to sit about 3" lower than it currently does while still getting great suspension travel.

Back