• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

85 C30 3+3 questions

tanman_2006

Just a farm kid...
Reaction score
IMG_0295.JPG So I found a pretty clean 85 C30 3+3 dually with 6.2 and th400.

The flywheel has missing teeth and can't be started but the engine has decent compression.

Do you have to pull the the trans out to replace the flywheel? If so this sounds like the perfect time to slide my 4L80 in.

Sounds snug to me. I have never tried, but thinking about it I guess you could. Just try and if it doesnt fit, no loss, youll be dropping the cover and undoing the tc to flywheel bolts anyways. think shinny thoughts...

What are the rest of the parts you are using to do the swap ?

Depends how bad it is if it goes down once in use. If it is going to mess you up to have it break down in first couple months, then do the trans now to eliminate any possible issues with a major component you know is coming out anyways. You just need t fine tooth comb examine it while doing trans. Other factor is --it is going to start out doing a bumch of freeway time, the mpg savings might factor in.

Otherwise since you just picked it up, maybe just drive it for a while and see what else shows up. You might not know about a leak it has, maybe park brake not right, or other little things have that go unnoticed until in use. Then maybe when you do the trans swap, you fix the other things at the same time.

I always prefer to down a rig and take care of multiple things at once. Always ticks me off to "fix" a rig then 3 weeks later something else goes. Then you can just pop the flywheel in there, and wait till warmer weather to do the trans.

good points.
are you gonna have a build thread on this? are there any other pics you can share? like the 4L80 idea.

good points.
are you gonna have a build thread on this? are there any other pics you can share? like the 4L80 idea.

Yes I will have a build thread on this truck if the deal goes through. I really want the truck, I have always wanted an 80's crew cab dually and eventually I want it turbo'd with a 6 speed allison but until the a 4l80 with triple disk 2000 rpm converter will have to work while I turbo. Then I will work on interior followed by the allison as long as the exterior holds up.

2wd it looks like?

What are thoughts on a 5 speed ally? there is a guy in Idaho that sells them for under a grand for the 2wd ones.

I bought a 6 speed with converter and tcm for 750. Paid 1500 for a 4x4 with 261 T case (lower mile truck I got to ride in after it was rolled). It's gonna take work to get the allison in though. I only plan to do the 6 Speed for the double OD and higher power rating over the 5 speed, I'd rather be over built.

2wd it looks like?

What are thoughts on a 5 speed ally? there is a guy in Idaho that sells them for under a grand for the 2wd ones.

5 speed ally is fine but the allison needs to be about 25% over built for a truck that doesn't defuel. So 300 rwhp needs to hold 375 HP (just a rule of thumb I got somewhere). Those numbers are more in line with the LBZ with a trans go and lml converter.

I want to do the 4x4 6 speed in a 95 and newer Crew Cab DRW eventually. One at a time though and I think starting with turbo'd 6.2 bottom end, 6.5 top end, banks manifold, a team, and 4l80 will be a start.

Back