• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

84 K-10

View attachment 50215

For @Will L.
I told you it was ugly!

Someone is wrong on the internet this AM. That's not ugly. :p

This, wannabe fins and all, is Fing UGLY!!! :vomit:

ugly.jpg

Someone with a rustbucket will beat me, but, I get asked to "not take the farm truck" a lot by passengers who get informed they can walk instead. Tailgate is black... It gets a high quality touch up now and then from a "name brand" spray paint can. We push the limit of the term Rat Rod...

My Kinda Truck by Baxter Black
I like a pickup that looks like a truck
And not like a tropical fish.
Or a two-ton poodle with running lights
Or a mutant frog on a leash.

Give me one tough as a cast iron skillet
With a bumper that's extra large
And a hood that weighs over eighty-five pounds
And looks like the prow on a barge.

I like style but since when should a truck
Be touted for comfort and ride.
Power windows? Reminds me of jeans
With a zipper that zips up the side.

They should soak up the dents of everyday life
Like a boxer losing his teeth.
And I like a truck, when you lift up the hood
You can see the ground underneath!

Don't get me wrong, I know beauty's skin deep
And ugly is in the eye,
But to find out if your truck is my kinda truck
Here's a test that you can apply:

If you have a small wreck in the parking lot
By backin' a little too far,
Your only worry is how big a mess
You made of the other guy's car!

That 1/2 ton doesn't fall in the ugly class at all. let's see, 30+ years so the paint needs a DE-oxidation and wax job. Little pre-ventilation above the rear tires, but so what. I love the look of square body the best second only to the 50's Apache trucks. Seriously, go to car shows and you'll see trucks exactly like yours with a shiny paintjob in them with trophies.

Tell me there is 200 guys out there trying to save and having appreciation to see a 1984 Nissan or Toyota truck- let alone some ugly hybrid like what WarWagon posted. Hey @WarWagon, warn a guy before you shove that much ugly in front of him- You know why they made the new prius shaped so pointed? So Hummers can floss their teeth better. As for your rat rod, I am not sure it qualifies as one. Lets chop the top off that sucker, then it'll be good.

As for the poem- greatest poem ever written!

Yes, funny thing my neighbor across the street had a 82 he totally restored it was so sharp, he passed a couple years ago his brother -in - law got the truck and in 2 years it looks not much better than this one. My 82 looked worse, (the one I put the 5 spd in) but 100,000 mile later in new sheet metal and interior, flat bed I did good on it. sold it for 5400. paid 700 for it! This one will get some TLC when I get the house remods done and my extra property sold. IF it survives my 17yr old driving it to school. lol He is not driving to Burb! He wanted nothing to do with it till he wanted some independence now it all he talks about! It will keep humble in some ways...

One of the best trucks I've ever owned is my '84 K10 Scottsdale. Still got her but she's sitting down back returning to the earth. Got way too rusty and had to take it off the road.:sorry:

Got enough good parts to build another one just like it.. Some year.. One of those projects..
trusty.jpg

It has happened, starter bracket came loose, broke outside starter bolt, found the inside is stripped. So suggestions; heli coil or oversize to 7/16?

A 7/16-14 (coarse) tap will follow the 10mm thread remains right in there. Keeping it straight is the hardest part. You'll probably have to drill the starter too. If you can, start with a taper tap then finish with bottoming tap. If you need to drill for the 7/16-14 it's a letter U drill. (.3680")

Thanks, I was leaning this way. The inserts seem short however in the rigging world the rule of thumb is 1.5x bolt diameter is good.

Thanks, I was leaning this way. The inserts seem short however in the rigging world the rule of thumb is 1.5x bolt diameter is good.
I have installed quite a few helicoils and have not had a one of them strip out. If in doubt, they can be doubled. If excess sticks out of the hole then just grind them extra threads off.
Be sure to break off the tangs and that the tangs falls out of the hole.

I like the idea of a bigger bolt. Guess the only downside is the lack of knurling on it but that can be taken up with a good fit in the starter gear case. The upside to a coil is it's not iron. They do work surprisingly well.

Make sure to buy a good brand helicoil. Off brands don't do to good in my opinion. If you wind up going this route, go with the helicoil brand. It's by far the best that I've used.

Thanks for the replies, The plan right now it to reuse back hole (block side) and sometime this week I will get a guide block drilled at and oversize the front(outside, ear) hole. If it is successful. I will have a drill guide block 10mm one side and "u" size hole on the other that will be available to loan anyone that needs it.

Love the old square bodies and have owned more than a few of them haha.

I really liked the 1987 and older square bodies on those trucks. I see a lot of them now on the road that these guys have fixed up and they really look sharp. I had a good friend that had a black 1987, 4X4, he drove it for a long time before getting rid of it.

Well, A bit of good news on this sad day; Sid is back in service long story short drilled out and tapped to 7/16-14 and fabricated a new support bracket. Sat for three weeks and 6 seconds on the GP s and it just purrs. LOL

Someone is wrong on the internet this AM. That's not ugly. :p

This, wannabe fins and all, is Fing UGLY!!! :vomit:

View attachment 50218

Someone with a rustbucket will beat me, but, I get asked to "not take the farm truck" a lot by passengers who get informed they can walk instead. Tailgate is black... It gets a high quality touch up now and then from a "name brand" spray paint can. We push the limit of the term Rat Rod...

Haha, my old truck was the same way when I sold it. Forest green front fenders w/maroon OEM flares, black bumper grill filler panel, maroon original cab and bed, mis-matched maroon doors and a tan tailgate. If I still had it today I would rather drive it than the new Ram.

Back