• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

84 Blazer FWD Front End Alignment

cornemuse

Reaction score
How big a deal is aligning the front end of a (solid axle) '84 Blazer??
I think there are 'eccentric cones' involved in the axle frame/body.
Is this difficult, hard to do?
Should most alignment shops be able to do this?
How much cost before its more than vehicle is worth?
I love the Blazer, that bumps up its value to me anyways, (6.2 diesel).

-corne-

Alignment itself is usually in the $100 range.

What gets expensive is that the steering and suspension components usually get ignored until something breaks and you cant drive, or until an alignment is done.

When there is wear in things like ball joints, tie rod ends, idler& pitman arm, the vehicle still drives, but the free play will not allow an alignment to be done with out replacing them.

Many shops will not do free estimates on what components are worn, because they try to do alignment and find bad parts. then the owner refuses the job and swaps parts himself. Then takes it to a different alignment shop.

If you inspect& lube everything for free play first- replace the worn part yourself.. low cost.

Something to think about when doing your lubes- a bit of penetrating oil like wd40 onto the threads of the tie rods will keep them serviceable when alignments are due. often the tie rod ends are well lubed by attentive owners, but the adjustment cant be made because the threads are rusted solid. some folks put on anti seize on the threads, and just wipe off excess when done. Smart practice imo.

The alignment shop found everything out of specs after various 'ball joints'(?) were replaced rubber seals were rotten & open, could see much corrosion inside. All they could do 'as is' was toe in/out. My Blazer spent ½ its life in Missouri (salt on roads??) Diesels are pretty rare 'round here, like I said, I love it. Dont know how much to spend on it.

I have a '84 Blazer with the 350 gas, blown engine. Dont know gear ratios of it or my 6.2. Its been parked for 25 years with salvage title. I've had it for 10± years, got it for the front axle, but I am 72 yrs old & not up to swapping these things, even if they're good to swap. (I'll be gettin rid of all my 'parked' cars soon anywayz!).

-c-

(edit: they're waiting these 'adjusting "cones" or what ever they are. Most shops around here wont even look at pre '95 cars & trucks anymore, can't plug it into a computer, or sumpin'. Especially diesels.)

They're probably talking about the thread in inserts the ball joints go into. Acts like an eccentric to help alignment

There also rings the are machined with various angles of degree that go between spindle and hub

Back