• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

78/79 Bronco Resto/mod

A few goodies arrived today

Lower door posts from LMC
lowerposts1.jpg

2 1.25" heims so I can get the radius arm brackets welded and get the axle to powder coating
heims1.jpg

These things are huge!
heims2.jpg

I will be ordering the other 6 heims and the 2" .25 wall DOM for the radius arms next week. Then it is time to get the roller together

Well today was pretty much a waste of time.
Stripped down the front axle and found a crack in the center section where the long side tube goes in.
frontaxle1bj.jpg

So now not only did I waste a few hours I need to buy new axles.
I wanted to upgrade anyhow but couldn't justify it when I had 2 good axles already.

I did get the radius arm mounts welded up and ready for the axle.
ramount1.jpg

ramount2.jpg

***EDIT***
Found a set of 99 Stupid Duty axles with calipers and discs for $500 for the pair.
Picking them up next weekend.
rearaxle1.jpg

frontaxle2.jpg

Unfortunately this throws my whole time table off.
Probably setting me a month behind since this money was supposed to go to primer not axles.

Picked up the axles today, overall in great shape.
I will need to have the rotors turned and replace the seals on the front.

the rear is missing the E-brake parts on one side, but those should be easy to snag from a JY.

newaxles3.jpg

newaxles2.jpg

Warn manual lock outs installed already though
newaxles1.jpg

Started tearing into the front axle today. Got the outers off, I still have to press out the ball joints so I can pull the shafts out.
The unit bearings are pretty easy to pull, I had never dealt with them before and didn't know what to expect.
I had both sides taken down in about 45 minutes.

I also dropped off the rotors to be turned.

This weekend I hope to get the front ready for paint which means getting the spring/radius arm mounts welded on.

Had a few hours this afternoon, got the axles taken off the trailer and got the front axle mostly stripped today.
frontaxle3.jpg

Started in on the rear axle. The E-brake on the driver side was completely removed.
The passenger wide was destroyed by a leaking oil seal.
rearaxle2w.jpg

I am thinking it may be cheaper to put a pinion brake on than to replace the stock parts, opinions?

Found these cool little saw horses, they are the perfect height! They were hanging out behind the garage.
newstands.jpg

Here is a pic of the unit bearing from the front axle, not as bad to replace as I thought.
unitbearing1.jpg

Will you see any overall width change switching from the OE Bronco axles?

Nope, the axles are the same width front and rear.

Got my mounts installed and primed the axle today.
frontaxleprimed.jpg

frontaxleprimed3.jpg

A couple of the welds are a little boogery! But they have good penetration, I think I was moving too slow.
frontaxleprimed2.jpg

Painted the front axle and started the install today
mockup3.jpg

mockup2fx.jpg

mockup1f.jpg

I need to cut down the track bar and rethread it, then start building the radius arms.

This weekend I want to get the rear axle under the frame.

Got one of the leaf packs assembled today, new bushings (what a pain in the ass), new pads and ORD Zero Rates to recenter the axle in the wheel well.
leafsprings1.jpg

leafsprings2.jpg

I did find a good way to get the bushings out though, wedge a cold chisel in the loop and press them out with a 6" clamp.

Got the springs finished up today and put them on the frame.
Going to get the rear axle painted tomorrow, I need new U bolts and spring plates (because of the zero rates).
leafsprings4.jpg

leafsprings3.jpg

leafsprings5.jpg

Back