• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

78/79 Bronco Resto/mod

Finally back to working on the project!

Started by cutting out the floor on the driver side and the lower post
driverdoorpost1.jpg

driverfloor1.jpg

Still have some more to do here.

Then started on sanding the hood.
Someone put alot of time into getting this hood to look nice, the whole thing has a nice skim of filler, I see no reason to go to metal here.
hood1w.jpg

So I will be only taking care of the rust and leaving most of the hood how it is.

The top pic looks like a difficult spot to repair. Get anywhere with it?

I haven't had anytime to work on it more. My plan is to media blast inside the area and then spray it with POR15. I have patches for the area just need to find the time to do the work!

Got another hoist this morning and got the body under the patio thing.
The two hoists sure make it nice, I can lift the body up high enough that I don't need to lay under it to work on it.
bodylifted1.jpg

Going to work on the undercarriage tomorrow, today was kind of a clean up and organizing day.

Nice bit of work there.

I've always liked the big bodied broncos.

Have you considered building a rotisserie for the bodywork?

Two relatively cheap engine stands and some thick angle is usually all you need.

One on each end, extend the "feet" out and build some brackets to body to the body points.

Just make sure you get the balance points right or it will rip right around on you when you try to rotate it and probably bang the ground! Or use straps to limit it, or perhaps a come-a-long to crank it back up.

Google will probably turn up a few pictures.

There's nothing quite so luxurious as working on the underside of your floor and being able to stand up while welding....

Nice bit of work there.

I've always liked the big bodied broncos.

Have you considered building a rotisserie for the bodywork?

Two relatively cheap engine stands and some thick angle is usually all you need.

One on each end, extend the "feet" out and build some brackets to body to the body points.

Just make sure you get the balance points right or it will rip right around on you when you try to rotate it and probably bang the ground! Or use straps to limit it, or perhaps a come-a-long to crank it back up.

Google will probably turn up a few pictures.

There's nothing quite so luxurious as working on the underside of your floor and being able to stand up while welding....

I had seen a few that were made that way, before I bought the second hoist I was looking around for a couple of good heavy duty engne stands on the cheap but had no luck.
I paid $50 for this hoist and it is a 5000# hoist, very stout.

Spent the morning on the transmission and transfer case. It got too damn hot so I called it a day.
Got the transmission assembly all sealed up, cleaned and painted.
trans1i.jpg

trans2.jpg

Picking up some new engine mounts tomorrow, I will get the engine and trans on the frame Wednesday after work.
The \wife is going to the National Flute Convention so I will have some free time to spend with my first love!

Holy Damn it is hot!

Got the engine/Trans/Transfercase set in the frame today. Set it in one piece, wouldn't want to do that with the body on it!
enginemounted1.jpg

enginemounted2.jpg

More room than I thought between the yoke and the cross bar for the radius arms
transfercase1.jpg

transfercase2.jpg

Finally an update!

I got the roller nearly complete, I still need to get rear rotors, u bolts and spring plates but it is on all fours!!!

roller1a.jpg

roller2.jpg

roller3m.jpg

The radius arms are really long, now that it has tires on it you can see how long they are.

lookin great! out of curiosity when you were painting the frame did you remove the brackets that are riveted to the frame or leave them attached?

I left the riveted ones on, the rivets were tight and there was no sign of rust behind the brackets when I pulled the bolted ones off.
This frame was in excellent shape, the other one I had was pretty bad, all of the brackets on it had rust that was eating into the metal.

Been a long time!
I forgot about this site!

Anyhow, the Bronco is now complete, took just over 3 years to finish.

Painted it in my garage, my first full paint job, pretty happy with it and learned a lot!
bronco-26.jpg

bronco-58.jpg

bronco-59.jpg

Back