• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

7/18/10 Are diesels still worth the extra money?

7/18/10 Are diesels still worth the extra money?

• Yes

Votes: 30 53.6%
  • No

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Would only buy a used diesel to help offset the cost.

Votes: 20 35.7%

• Total voters
Diesel.

Those new gassers still won't burn the biodiesel that I make for ~$0.45 per gallon. :D
They aren't going to pull my 18,000 lbs toy hauler anywhere except to the scene of the crash.
And with the new HP/TQ numbers that the '11 diesel trucks are going to have, even with all the emmissions crap, you could almost leave it stock! Almost. ;)

For my needs yes, Diesel truck to pull my loads, Diesel burb to haul the family, NO fullsize SUV = power, economy, comfort of my burb, and my wife's VW TDI with it's 45+ mpg is hard to beat for around town economy

With all of the smog crap, it is not worth it in a new truck.
6.5 yeah baby :thumbsup: low aquisition cost, low maint. $, and good mpg, low on power as built but does not have to stay that way :D

when those dry up I'll be looking for used Dmax but that is a LONG way away since I live in the rot free republics (the South) as you do, body is in very good shape

I selected the used diesel option. low initial cost of the 6.x IDIs is very appealing, plus the fuel economy is quite good.

never will buy a non- manual, emissions equipped diesel,so that limits me to 06 and older GM, 07 and earlier Dodge, and i would not buy a powerjoke, as i like to actually work on my motor w/o having to lift the cab.

I got a great deal on my 2000 Superduty I bought it after the hurricane after having to wait in line for gas for over an hour and watching a diesel pull up to the pump and leave. Also if they are out of gas chances are they will have diesel. You can sleep in it if your powers out and stay cool and not burn near as much as a gas burner.

Here Diesel has always bin cheeper by 5-10 cents a liter than gas, plus most diesels (even chipped ones) have more power and get better milage then the gasser equivalent, so yes it's worth it.

To me its worth it.
I never bought a new veh(truck or car),and never will,as long as i can find them old 6.5 trucks in my price range(a couple thou)i keep driving a diesel.farm diesel is cheap and so are repairs.
The only gassers on my place is an old dodge power wagon and the lawn tractor

Used diesel;
no initial depreciation, and the military will always have the refinery make diesel before gas in an emergency. Veggie conversion is tempting, but costly; and lots of work to keep it going. maybe someday..

Back