• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6L80 Transmission.

Tim 2012 Avalanche

Reaction score
New Guy to the group. I have a 2012 Chevy Avalanche with a 6L80 transmission. When I come to a stop the vehicle lurches like it is gearing down. Sometimes it doesn't want to take off until I give it a little gas and then jumps into gear. While going down the road it appears to be shifting fine. Has anyone else had this problem? Please help.

Welcome aboard Tim. I'm not too familiar with that particular trans, but in my experience it sounds like possibly shift solenoids. are there any codes on the PCM? I would recommend checking that first since the trans is controlled electronically. I'm sure others will respond soon who know more that I do.

Welcome aboard Tim. I'm not too familiar with that particular trans, but in my experience it sounds like possibly shift solenoids. are there any codes on the PCM? I would recommend checking that first since the trans is controlled electronically. I'm sure others will respond soon who know more that I do.

clean the ground cables and wires. Every one of them. Remove the nuts and bolts holding them down and sand them to bright and shiny. Same with the wires contact surfaces of the bolts and nuts.
See what that does then report back please.
Might be good to hook a code reader to it just for 💩 and gigglez and see if it does come up with a code. Just in case.

Obvious, fluid level/condition?
I don’t think my dipstick is going all the way down the tube it stops about an inch out and I am thinking maybe the filter came off so that’s my next step is to drop the pan and see if that’s what’s going on but it is showing full on the dipstick

You need to get a high end scanner on it like the GM MDI and associated software. You need to check the adapt values, shift times, and I'm not sure sure if it will show clutch volume or not. I'm not well versed on the newer clutch to clutch transmissions, but you have to have the right tools AND to know what you're looking at with them to work on them. They shift nothing like earlier transmissions using a complex arrangement of shift valves to control the trimmed fluid flow, and trim valves to control the trimmed fluid.

Back