• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

69 IH 1300D RA15 Rear Axle Bearing Question

DieselSlug

Reaction score
All,

I have gotten back into the swing of working on my truck (69 1300D SRW) alone on the weekends back at the place of employment. I pulled my rear drum/hub units to inspect/repack the wheel bearings and replace the seals. Upon removal of the driver inner bearing I noticed a substantial amount of play in the roller bearings. Much more than the one I pulled out of the passenger side. There is no visible wear on the rollers, cone or race. Can anyone confirm what is too much in terms of play between the roller bearings and the cage of the cone? Should I replace just this bearing and race? I tired to reference some pictures below:

This picture is of the offending bearing. I am trying to pry the cage of the cone upwards to feel the play in the rollers. The rollers can darn near fall out of the cage!
ANCp3so.jpg

Another view as I am trying to force the cage upward, look at how far in the cage the rollers are!
i822Wrn.jpg

This is the passenger that feels normal as all of the other bearings I have pulled from this truck.
mBEwjMe.jpg

Cage slop isn't normally checked, it's main purpose is to hold the rollers in place while installing. However that does seem like alot. Hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like I can see wear on the rollers. If you really don't want to pull it apart in the future I'd replace it and the race.

Thanks for digging into it deep AK! Interesting on the cage slop, learn something new every day.

I actually am sitting in the living room looking them over more and I think my pictures are very misleading. The rough and dull finish you see is still grease on the rollers. I haven't soaked them in cleaner yet, just wiped off. There are no ridges on the rollers or even nicks/grooves. Both (good passenger and loose driver) shiny and smooth with faint swirl marks on both from rolling.

This one was just so different than all other bearings I have pulled from this truck that it caught my eye. I am definitely perplexed. Was also hoping since the race looked so good was to get just another Timken NOS cone (found for $26 on eBay). However I understand you typically replace cone and race.

It doesn't look near as bad now LOL. Still not polished shiny like I'd expect. If it was me I'd run it, not like it's your DD that can't let you down

Yeah, cleaned up looks a lot better- how many miles and how fast are you gonna drive it would be the question. If it were a daily driver I would still replace is and the race by what I see. Keep in mind the bearings are harder than the race so if the bearing is scored the race is toast. Never seen a good race and bad bearing.

If you feel a low spot in bearing or race, that means it will wear quickly. If you feel a raised spot it will fail soon. There are some rare classic cars out there that folks will knock down the high spots and run them because it just doesn’t get used enough to justify the cost.

if the bearing on the other side is identical brand can you measure the diameter of one vs the other?
They are identical, that's a good idea. Of course I forgot my caliper at the shop.

Yeah, cleaned up looks a lot better- how many miles and how fast are you gonna drive it would be the question. If it were a daily driver I would still replace is and the race by what I see. Keep in mind the bearings are harder than the race so if the bearing is scored the race is toast. Never seen a good race and bad bearing.

If you feel a low spot in bearing or race, that means it will wear quickly. If you feel a raised spot it will fail soon. There are some rare classic cars out there that folks will knock down the high spots and run them because it just doesn’t get used enough to justify the cost.

Will get a better eye on the race tomorrow and report back. At a bare minimum I really want to replace the cone, it just doesn't give me a warm, fuzzy, smooth feeling.....

Just did a rough measurement of the bigger side of the race and there is 1/32" to 1/8" difference between the drivers side and passenger side bearings. It's definitely notable on a tape measure.

Just to remove worry and doubt I would replace both the cone and the cup, inner and outer. But that's just Me and the way that I roll.
I always check the bearing slop before dismantling a cone/cup bearing situation such as this. If the slop, by pushing inwards, pulling outwards and top to bottom wiggle is excessive then I would be suspecting that the bearing could be wore, or, the last person that was in there knew nothing about bearing adjustments.
Usually when installing new cones and cups there is a preload that needs to be followed, then, as the bearings seat and wear in the preload should slack to a zero amount of preload. Follow the books recommendations and it will be fine.

Back