• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5TD with Allison 6speed

dur0maxx

Is Blowin Soot On A Prius
Reaction score
Well, my trans is pissing me off, sometimes it shifts fine and then other times it will slide it's lazy ass into gear, more than not this is the method it uses. I've been through a lot of transmissions in my previous vehicles so I have had them rebuilt by shops, bought some off the 'bay and even some from reputable online dealers. I've never had any good luck. Anyway, from what I gather the 4l80 is no cheap trans to rebuild, I keep seeing prices around 2k-2.5k for a rebuild.

I'm trying to figure out some things. I've already decided how I'm gonna control it, there are 2 company's that have stand alone controlers for them.
-Will the ally conveter bolt up to our flywheel or do I need a different one.
-Will my transfer case bolt up the the back of the ally.

If I can find a nice used ally cheap enough this is the route I want to take. I really would like that .61:1 overdrive versus our .75:1. The other alternative is to dive in and try my very first rebuild myself. If I decide to go this route I will document all this step by step and take pics along the way for anyone else that may want to do this in the future.

I know this isn't the right place but we know how the d-max guys are:rolleyes5:

Bellhousing should be fine, since, IIRC, the van Duramax uses a 4L80/85. I don't know about the flywheel to converter though.

You might try putting a solenoid kit in it. that alot of the times is the problem.

I thought about that too, but I changed my filter a few months ago and this is what it looked like. To me, that looks like a lot of material.

Here is the pan as it was when I pulled it:
picture.php

Pan Cleaned:
picture.php

Old Vs New Filter:
picture.php

Last edited:
I don't know. I bought the truck with 123k on it, i now have a little over 130k. I think it was the first time. it had the metal pan gasket with o-ring on it when i took it off. No filter kit i've ever bought came with a gasket like that, usually either cork or rubber gaskets.

When I bought it, the fluid looked good on the stick, but once I drained it, it looked more like royal purple motor oil coming out.

btw I would LOVE to see an ally 6 speed go in, however I think you need to lift the truck a little, I dont think it fits without a body lift of some sort.

I don't know. I bought the truck with 123k on it, i now have a little over 130k. I think it was the first time. it had the metal pan gasket with o-ring on it when i took it off. No filter kit i've ever bought came with a gasket like that, usually either cork or rubber gaskets.

When I bought it, the fluid looked good on the stick, but once I drained it, it looked more like royal purple motor oil coming out.

Sounds like it had been changed before the metal gasket with the o-ring is one that is reusable. Sounds like they may have used the royal purple trans fluid.

Maybe that is something they improved on with the newer trucks. My 94 deffinently doesn't have one.

Summit racing has the little plugs for a couple bucks if I remember right, thats what I did to mine, sure dose make it less messy

btw I would LOVE to see an ally 6 speed go in, however I think you need to lift the truck a little, I dont think it fits without a body lift of some sort.

I don't think it needs a lift. I've heard both sides of this argument and to me I don't think it will need to be lifted. If so then I will just convert to electric fans and that should take care of it.

I would love to be able to cruise at 80mph @ 1900rpm):h

I'm not sure the gain is worth the effort, a 4L80 properly built can handle all HP a 6.5 can put to it, mine has been hauling the occasional 18K load since I rebuilt with HD clutches, at 66K (my choice/not because it was required), now am at 153K and still pulling strong. Heat is killer for any trans, which is why I went with deep pan, more fluid to get hot, and the extra Deraile cooler under the bed.

Not squashing the iniative just be prepared it may be a big task ahead of you

The way i'm looking at it is if I take it to get rebuilt or buy a refurbed or rebuild unit it is gonna be around $2500. For a little more I can probably get the Allison 6sp and put it in myself and then have a sweet overdrive that I will probably never have to worry about and like I said before the .61 6th gear would come in very handy as I just like you do a lot of road trips. Not as many as you but enough to benefit from it. My last trip home was 460mi and I had 1/4 tank left, I was driving 68mph on the interstate. When I made the trip back I was doing around 75mph most the way and I got back on fumes.

The 4l80e is a very strong tranny, I just want a better overdrive ratio. I think the cost would be better than rebuilding the 4l80 and installing a gear vendors unit. JMHO

Where do you shop? I bought a rebuilt from an place in florida, HD clutches, kevlar bands etc. for 900 bucks, core 400 bucks and rebuilt TC for 175$. I have about 10, 000 k on it now with no issues. I live in Canada and shipping was only 200$. A cheap alternative to a dealer rebuild. If you want the vendor, just PM me. I understand the draw in the Allison, but you may run into serious electronic issues trying to get that thing to talk to your PCM. Just a thought.

There are two companies that make a controller for the allison, one is PCS an the other is DESTROKED. Destroked is $1500 for the 5sp and the 6sp is not posted on his site yet. But PCS is around $850. All they need is inputs from rpm, tps, and speed I believe. But they both come with everything you need to make it 100% standalone. I'm not really worried about the electronics. I need to find a used allison for a good price to make it worth it really.

If that works for you, That might become a project for my 6 months of vacation once I'm shipping.... 4-roller marine mechanical pump turned all the way up, AMG block, ATT turbo WMI... mated to a 6 speed ally! oooooo I'm shivering now!! :D

Back